Bloody vent!! Two hens already died please help!

Do they have enough shade?
Personally I think they need a lot if things!!! More shade , dust box, outside roost I could go on!!! She has normal BM I think a bit of blood dropped on one BM. I love this family however I couldn't keep my hens in a small coop like they are in. It really shouldn't home more then 4 hens. I would only do two. I like my hens to be happy
1f60d.png
different story here. No egg today and I hope she's not in pain. Seems like it's just dripping out of vent . It had to have started around bedtime or early morning. When I got here it was still wet. For 3 birds to get this seems contagious or something wrong during incubation or genetics? That I can't answer since they bought them from the feed store. I'm suppose to bring her two of mine but am scared now.
1f633.png

-Kathy

Another option would be to take the live one to Davis and have her necropsied. It might sound harsh, but many people do it. Of course the euthanasia is also free.

-Kathy

Did the other two die within a day or two of the really warm days there?
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/modesto-ca/95354/june-weather/327145

-Kathy
i'm not positive but I know we had a heat wave during those months. The only thing she will eat is cherry tomatoes. She refused the Greek yogurt but moved all the cherry tomatoes into her water bowl. I hope that's a good sign. Since she is my friend and she does not love her chickens as much as I love mine. I'm hoping she makes it through the night and I'm gonna bring everything needed early in the morning help her out if I can. When I clean her up if I happen to see a cut on her vent should I put anything on it? I'm still going back to its vent is leaking blood but you never now I'm going to soak her for a few minutes tomorrow.

Is she still alive? Yes, I trimmed her back area. Have her a bath, ACV , plain yogurt with sea kelp, some seeds , oyster shells , tomatoes cause she loves them, scrambled eggs and sea kelp. Kept her in kennel for 4 days. Her comb dropped which worried me. But has managed to come back up. She is back with the flock but has not laid yet.
I hope she stay strong! Still watching her. However my boss bought two battery birds that have snotty noses and didn't. Corentine them. We will see?! Poor girls have tip of beak cut off but couldn't be any sweeter!!!
-Kathy

Same here. Only 1 of 7, Noticed a milky goo in the coop this morning, then a tinge of blood on the porch steps, where they come after we open the large run door at sunrise. Now, full blown bleeding, bathed, cuddled, then I observed what appeared to be her full insides with more active bleeding.
We isolated her with fresh water and a little feed; lethargic. ... digging a spot as we speak. She's pulling her rear feathers as we speak.
We have a VERY clean coop and run, and look after them like babies, so I'm confidant it's not neglect.
I know, life on the farm ... Mother Nature / God (I heard they are dating) have this all hard wired, but if I'm missing something, feel free to reply.
It's almost 3PM CT, and only 2 eggs when there had been a full 7 at this time! Are they holding a moratorium for their falling sister?
I am borrowing this picture because it is the best representation of the current condition. (5 mths old)

Thanks friends.***Nearly 8:30 PM** She's safe on the shed deck with water and feed, and a cozy place to sleep. She has had a couple of very runny and mostly clear movements, some pale greenish matter. Morning should tell me one way or the other, but is seemingly stress free. The other ladies are fine in behavior and the coop was bleached, sanded, and D.E.'d.

Last edited:
Same here. Only 1 of 7, Noticed a milky goo in the coop this morning, then a tinge of blood on the porch steps, where they come after we open the large run door at sunrise. Now, full blown bleeding, bathed, cuddled, then I observed what appeared to be her full insides with more active bleeding. We isolated her with fresh water and a little feed; lethargic. ... digging a spot as we speak. She's pulling her rear feathers as we speak. We have a VERY clean coop and run, and look after them like babies, so I'm confidant it's not neglect. I know, life on the farm ... Mother Nature / God (I heard they are dating) have this all hard wired, but if I'm missing something, feel free to reply. It's almost 3PM CT, and only 2 eggs when there had been a full 7 at this time! Are they holding a moratorium for their falling sister? I am borrowing this picture because it is the best representation of the current condition. (5 mths old) Thanks friends.***Nearly 8:30 PM** She's safe on the shed deck with water and feed, and a cozy place to sleep. She has had a couple of very runny and mostly clear movements, some pale greenish matter. Morning should tell me one way or the other, but is seemingly stress free. The other ladies are fine in behavior and the coop was bleached, sanded, and D.E.'d.
Ours ended up being isolated for about a week her comb turned white and dropped. Lots of ACV plain yogurt sea kelp ect... And of course love! She was able to enter the big flock again but still has not laid an egg. Her comb did turn red again and start to lift but not like it was before. She is a sex link I believe with the leg horn mix from what I hear there combs droop. Not real sure I don't own any Leg horns myself but she is doing good ! wish you luck on yours! Keep us posted on yours. I'm curious what happened to her?! Plus the two that passed away also from bleeding like that but the owners are not educated in chicken health or maintenance. I had to come home change clothes so I didn't infect by flock with whatever was going on with my friends .

Back
Top Bottom