bloody yolk with no shell

DOEBOY

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Hello everyone! First post here and have a question. Yesterday I found on the carport a bloody yolk stretched out across the concrete. There was no yellow to it just the clear jell. I have 24 hens and no rooster. The majority of them were raised from dibbies but I bought 4 large ones and was told they were a last years chickens about three weeks after I got the chicks. One of the older chickens has been in a molt for about 2 monthes and looks like its been plucked the others are fairly well feathered. I think I was sold some old chickens. When we got them they laid 3 to 4 eggs per day of the 4 chickens that were able. When I got rid of the rooster they stopped laying down to maybe 1-2 eggs per day if that. Thats the history of the laying. Now I find the bloody mess in the carport and was wondering what could have caused it. My quess is a shell has broken inside one of the chickens and cut it up but I dont know which one. All the chicken are going about business as usual pecking and pooping. While I watched them out in the yard a bunch of them were dust bathing I noticed the plucked hen laying on her side with her wings stretched out in the heat of the sun like she was covering her self while all the other hens lay in the shade. I thought it was an odd place for her to be so when I went to make sure she was ok she jumped up and carried on like they always do. Any idea what's going on with the bloody yolk? Thats about all the observation I can remember. Doeboy

There was no yellow yolk at all? Remember chickens will try to hide any illness. You really have to watch for clues when you think something is wrong.
D.gif

There was no yellow just a lot of clear gel with a section of blood. The whole thing was spead out for about a foot long by maybe an inch and a half wide. It wasn't poop from what I could tell. We had a hen pass a soft white sack that had the same type of gel in it about a month ago. We saw it because it was stuck to the tail feathers. I haven't really observed which hens are consistantly laying but I got 2 eggs today the norm. THANKS FOR THE HELP. DOEBOY

I believe what was on your carport floor was what is called albumen (clear fluid) which is what the yolk (yellow) is suspended in. One is not with out the other. Probably what happened is a hen layed a soft shell egg, the other hens like to run off and eat the soft part first and the other hens ate the yellow yolk which just left the clear fluid (albumen) on the floor. Occasionally you will see a little blood but it is unusual to see a lot of blood. From time to time you can see this in hens. The hen with the missing feathers probably needs the sun more to keep warm compared to the other hens (with feathers.) You could look really close at this hen and check for any mites. Mites can be hard to see so you will have to look real close. I believe your hen that laid the soft shell egg on the carport will be just fine. Chickens will hide any illness so you will have to watch carefully to see if this occurs again.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom