Blooie's Blankie Fort

Katie and I put them in the incubator yesterday, and I haven't messed with them since. I want to give the wonky ones time to reattach if they're going to. Chances are good that they will since they weren't totally free floating in there. They'll stay there, snug and happy, until I candle again on Day 4, which will be Tuesday. Keep everything crossed!!

:hit im sorry about the eggs. Glad 2 are looking good. Im just staring day 17. I candled earlier looks like i might have one quitter. The other 9 were moving. Im a little concerned about the air cells all but 2 were barely bigger than day 14. Now im :fl hoping by lockdown which is just over 24 hrs away they will be better. Oh my goodness. I put the possible quitter back in though as there was no smell and maybe it was just sleeping. But the contents looked different from the rest fewer blood veins, smaller dark area. :( but my new babies are great.

Katie and I put them in the incubator yesterday, and I haven't messed with them since. I want to give the wonky ones time to reattach if they're going to. Chances are good that they will since they weren't totally free floating in there. They'll stay there, snug and happy, until I candle again on Day 4, which will be Tuesday. Keep everything crossed!!
Good luck! What do you see at day 4? I candle for the very first time at day 10. Prior to that, I just can't see anything.
hit.gif
im sorry about the eggs. Glad 2 are looking good. Im just staring day 17. I candled earlier looks like i might have one quitter. The other 9 were moving. Im a little concerned about the air cells all but 2 were barely bigger than day 14. Now im
fl.gif
hoping by lockdown which is just over 24 hrs away they will be better. Oh my goodness. I put the possible quitter back in though as there was no smell and maybe it was just sleeping. But the contents looked different from the rest fewer blood veins, smaller dark area.
sad.png
but my new babies are great.
I always leave the somewhat questionable ones in! The OBVIOUS clears, I pull. But the others stay in.

Well, took out the automatic turner, put the last 8 eggs in their little color coordinated baskets, and did one more candling. I now only have hope for two of them - the Olive Egger and a Green Magnolia. Disappointed is an understatement, but you know, the sun will still come up tomorrow and the birdies will still sing.
Hatching is hard......reality of life and not-life for sure.

Might be better to wait until day 7?...unless you can do it without picking them up.

Good luck! What do you see at day 4? I candle for the very first time at day 10. Prior to that, I just can't see anything.
I always leave the somewhat questionable ones in! The OBVIOUS clears, I pull. But the others stay in.
This is my progression for the first 5 days of the hatch I am on now. This is with white shelled eggs-my Spitzhaubens, but you can see amazingly well into them:

fl.gif
I'm so sorry about your bad luck Blooie. I really hope you have better luck on the next hatch!!!

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Hatching is hard......reality of life and not-life for sure.

Might be better to wait until day 7?...unless you can do it without picking them up.
If these were home eggs, I'd wait. But I really want to double check to see how those air cells are doing. I think handling and air cell issues are what killed this hatch. If I can do a hatch with the eggs laying horizontally rather than vertically I'd like to do that but won't if those air cells look pretty bad. Most of these eggs are light colored so I should at least see some early veining too.

fl.gif
I'm so sorry about your bad luck Blooie. I really hope you have better luck on the next hatch!!!

Alex
My Pet Chicken
Thanks, Alex. It just took them so long to get to me after they were shipped, and the more grubby paws tossing the packages from truck to truck the greater the risk to the eggs. But we just don't get the benefits of "express" or even "overnight" shipping here. Shortly after we moved out here - wow, it'll be 20 years already! - my sister back in South Dakota had to send the title to my car to me. We'd stayed with them a couple of days after our house was emptied, and I'd left the envelope with that stuff in her kitchen. So she sent it "overnight". I went to the Post Office to pick it up the next day and Jack, who was our postmaster then, looked at me and kinda laughed. "Diane, one thing you'll learn here is there is no such thing as overnight or even express. So save your money on mailing because it just won't happen here." Yet so often, like when we order live chicks, we have no alternative. The PO says they have to go Express. Would you pay for a cup of coffee knowing full well ahead of time you ain't gonna get it? Yeah, like that.
lau.gif

But there are still 8 eggs in the hatcher. (Listen to me....hatcher, incubators, air cells, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!) Where there are still eggs, there is still hope. No Ameri-flowers or Swedish Flower Hens, but an Olive Egger and a Green Magnolia are chicks I don't have out there now, so I'm still ahead of the game.

Back
Top Bottom