Bloomington, IN checking in

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eudyptes, Aug 15, 2010.

1. eudyptes

eudyptes New Egg

Aug 15, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Hiya.

Stumbled across y'all this afternoon. My wife and I recently purchased a 33 acre farm (22 of which is wooded). My first chickens are on their way the week of 28 August, a batch of straight-run heavies from Murray McMurray. I am in the process (nearly done, I think) of converting two horse stalls to a chicken coop, and I will be ordering the electric netting to surround their pasture yet this evening.

My plan is to freeze some birds (just over half) and overwinter the rest to start laying in spring. We'll see how it goes.

I spent much of last summer helping out at a free range egg and broiler farm here in south-central Indiana to learn the ropes. After helping to care for 700 layers, 1000 broilers and 600 turkeys, I'm thinking my 25 will be a snap! (Heh.)

Anyway, I'll be around, asking stupid questions. I'll post some photos of the chicken abode when I get it done.

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from Oklahoma!!!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] WOW, talk about jumping in! I'll bet that was great experience last summer. Nothing like hands on experience. Congratulations on the new farm.

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine [​IMG]

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    [​IMG] From Western Washington State.

I agree this shouldn't be hard for you at all.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by