Blow dryer with duck (call duck)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ShellyBear, Jan 10, 2015.

1. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    My male call duck (Anxious) got totally soaked, he was shivering. I was worried so I took him in the house gave him a bath and blow dried him. He wasn't happy in the proses but in the end he was good to go. Was that alright for me to do, and how does he get wet so easily?[​IMG]

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    He could have "wet feather", where the feathers are not waterproof like they should be. It's usually due to a problem with the preen gland, or with a duck that hasn't had access to water to bathe in for a long time. It was right to bring him inside and blow-dry him! That was good thinking so you could get him dried and warmed up at the same time. You just have to be careful with blow-dryers so you don't get too close to them to cause burns of course. I've saved many cold, water-logged ducklings with blow-dryers. ;)

3. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Is this the first time you've noticed it? You DEFINITELY did the right thing by drying him off and warming him up! It could be an impacted oil gland. Can you pick up him and take a look at it? Is it red, swollen or feel hard, like a tiny pebble?

4. NylaJarrett94

NylaJarrett94 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Indiana
    How old is your duck? Are you familiarized with ducks? I noticed in a post of yours, you said you are in Middle School. My Mallard ducklings just love the blow dryer after a bath. I keep it on the lowest heat setting possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by