1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

blowing out eggs

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by new chick 203, Oct 19, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I was going to blow out some eggs for decoration. Do you need to do anything to them after you blow them out to preserve them? I'm planning to put them in a shadow box so I would hate if they got moldy or smelly.[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Soap and water? That should be fine.

3. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    I usually just blow some water into it (basically mouth to egg) a couple of times and shake it when all the original egg stuff is out . I have kept blown out eggs for decades w/o problems.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    I just started cleaning out my duck eggs a couple weeks ago to make some Christmas ornaments. I wasn't sure if just rinsing them out was okay or not. I happened to have a spray can of fungicidal sealer that I sprayed on them. I guess it might have been over kill, but it won't hurt anything.

As to cleaning them out, I've been making a hole in each end with a dremel tool, sucking out part of it with a syringe then blowing out the last little bit. I just hope I can make something half way decent out of them.

5. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    I sometimes put elmers glue or something of the sort on the Inside of the egg to make it stronger

6. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Microwave for a few seconds until the hissing stops (not too long or you'll blow them up) - I do 9 seconds a few times. Also cover in Mod Podge or something similar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by