BLRW bantam chicks from Ideal

hencrazy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
I was wondering if you can tell if they will be blue, black or splash when they're only a few days old?

Also wondering if anyone has any from Ideal that are now adults. Would love to see pics of them.

I'm just too impatient to find out what they will look like. I'm not planning on breeding or anything, I just ordered then cuz I thought they looked pretty.

Hey Hen, your subject line is saying "BLRW bantam chicks from Ideal." BLRW stands for Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. There aren't black, blue, or splash colorations of BLRW wyandottes. Though BLRW do come in different shades of Blue/Red. I assume you are asking about blue,black, or splash wyandotte chicks. Yes you can tell them apart from day-old. They will look like....

Blue = Blue down feathers on back and head, usually white/yellow down on underside.

Black= Black down feathers on back and head, usually white/yellow down on underside.

Splash= Silver/Light blue down here and there with mostly white/yellow down mixed in.

When and if you get them just post some pics I know we can get them figured out!
smile.png

I got a pair of blue laced red wyandotte bantams from ideal last october and wasn't pleased with the quality at all. Here are a pic of the pair when they were younger... I sold them so i don't know what they look like today

The pullet
IMG_2714.jpg

The cockrel
IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Here are the BLRW large fowl chicks that I got recently from McMurray. People on the BLRW yahoo group tell me that the 4 light ones are probably splash and the two darker ones (includes the one hidden in the back) would be the blues. They are just feathering in pretty heavy now and that does seem to be the case as the two dark chicks feathers are coming in more red and grey that buff and pale grey. Of course there is always the possibility that they are just two different shades of blue since the intensity of blue can vary chick to chick and still be blue.

bluelacedredchicks.jpg

For large fowl McMurray is the best hatchery for Wyandottes. Not sure how their bantams are. The MM BLRW LF lack in type but usually have decent lacing. But then many BLRW from anywhere lack in type.

There is a young man that lives locally and he shows his Wyandottes from McMurray and does well even in some of the bigger state shows.

However, the only color the sell in Bantam size Wyandottes is Partridge.

yep BLRW come in B/B/S. They are commonly known as black laced red, blue laced red, and either BLR splash or white laced red. The splash BLRW can appear very similar to buff laced Wyandottes but they have the odd blue feather mixed in, especially in the hackle feathers.

I didn't know that the different colorations of BLRW were called Blue...Black....Splash....I thought they were just different colorations of blue. Interesting.....I would love to see a black laced red wyandotte that would be a beautiful bird.
ep.gif

I recently decided to start a flock of bantam BLRW's. I did a little research and this is what i heard. I dont know if it is true, and i forgot where i heard it. But i was told that some hatchery stock has been crossed with the golden laced at some point and it altered the colors. They have been trying to get the colors back to acceptable colors but it could take a very long time. For this reason, I chose to buy non-hatchery. Through my little research, I do believe that the 'blue' on them is looked at as b/b/s. Again, i am no expert, just what i learned before i bought. Another thing about laced wyandottes, you cannot judge their beauty until they are fully grown. They can look less attractive as they feather in. They can look like they might not even be the breed you thought........but they deserve the time to mature and I'm sure they will make you proud
smile.png

Quote:
Honestly, to me they don't look all that impressive. They look like a redder version of a GLW.....if I hadn't done my homework I would think thaat is what they are, in fact.

When I got mine I kinda went with a mid grade I guess you would say. I didn't buy the insanely expensive ones and I didn't go hatchery either. I got 6 eggs for around the $20 range....4 hatched, one roo 3 hens, and I am absolutely thrilled with them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom