BLRW single comb?

DirtCreature

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I hatched out 13 BLRW chicks about 2-3 weeks ago, one died and that left me with 12 now.

Yesterday or the day before, I noticed that one of them has a single comb...
idunno.gif

I thought they are suppose to have rose combs?

Does this mean that my chick is a rooster?!? I have no idea what is going on. LOL

Thanks for your advice.

M~

I too am curious about this. I have 2 SLW that I got for free on chick day, they were straight run. One has a rose comb and at 8 weeks it has no feathers on its face. The other has a single comb. I have my suspicions they are both Roos...

Sometimes a single comb shows up in Wyandottes-it's mostly seen in hatchery birds since hatcheries add in other production layers to improce fertility/egg production in the dott. Has not a thing to do with sexing. Most breeders cull single comb birds from their breeding flocks.

you mean like separate? or kill...? I certainly wont kill her for having a single comb then. and i think she will just stay right where she is granted she is a she!
big_smile.png
thanks.

I does seem a shame to cull the dotts that have single combs. :( I am not against eating the ones don't produce well, but culling them for their looks is just a shame.

On a funny side note, I have a coffee mug that has a SLW hen on one side, and a SLW roo on the other. They both have single combs. Haha either the painter got that wrong, or they too had funny wyondottes.

Back
Top Bottom