BLRW?

I have three welsummers right now that are very curious and pretty mellow. But I had one last summer that was the. worst. chicken. ever. I sold her and the guy forgot to venmo my money and I didn't even care. Good riddance to that chicken. If this one is a BLRW cross your fingers for me she isn't a pain haha
Are yours chatty? I have 5 currently and they are one of the CHATTIEST birds I have owned. Mine happen to love climbing trees, but again, its an individual thing for the most part.

Yes but not as chatty as my Sussex's. One of the Welsummers is always first to stick her head out when I open the coop and will jump up on the roost to chat to me out in the run. She's always in my face like "what are you doing?" I call her Sassy haha

IMG_20220226_123313.jpg

So last fall I got what were labeled as BLRWs but turned out to be brown leghorns. My bad. Can anybody tell me from this pic if this could be a BLRW?
Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.

In future, if you want to buy a Wyandotte, check for the flat little rose comb on the chick-- if it has a skinny single comb, look for a different chick. Single comb is the kind that looks like a comb you might use on your hair: skinny, stands up, has points on the top.

It also helps if you look at pictures online to learn what the down color & pattern look like, if you want to buy a particular breed & color of chick. That can help avoid some of the other "wrong" ones.

Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs.

In future, if you want to buy a Wyandotte, check for the flat little rose comb on the chick-- if it has a skinny single comb, look for a different chick. Single comb is the kind that looks like a comb you might use on your hair: skinny, stands up, has points on the top.

It also helps if you look at pictures online to learn what the down color & pattern look like, if you want to buy a particular breed & color of chick. That can help avoid some of the other "wrong" ones.
I just told the kid to grab one of the chipmunk chicks. I'm not too fussed about what it is. Thanks-good advice!

Update: this chicken is not laying yet. Any day now I'm hoping but she has white ears. I guess I am meant to have brown leghorns no matter what the label says but for a Leghorn she's very pretty.
Wow! I googled a bunch of brown leghorn hen pics and she does look different! Can’t wait to see what color egg she lays! (Easter Egger?)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom