Blu kote and chickens eggs

So I just innocently asked if it was okay to use on quail on a quail Facebook page…and boy did that start a flurry of disagreements! From my research—Canada has banned the use of Blu-Kote because they have found some linkage to gentian violet and cancer. However, it appears that they need to be exposed often and ingest quite a bit for there to be a concern. I’d say if it’s used sparingly when needed for specific injuries, it is probably fine to use.

So I just innocently asked if it was okay to use on quail on a quail Facebook page…and boy did that start a flurry of disagreements! From my research—Canada has banned the use of Blu-Kote because they have found some linkage to gentian violet and cancer. However, it appears that they need to be exposed often and ingest quite a bit for there to be a concern. I’d say if it’s used sparingly when needed for specific injuries, it is probably fine to use.
I sprayed it only once on here and when I was cleaning her she pecked at it but not a lot of it she’s only 15 weeks

I sprayed it only once on here and when I was cleaning her she pecked at it but not a lot of it she’s only 15 weeks
Yeah I sprayed a couple of my male quail that were being beat up on and then was told it was terrible haha. I think using sparingly or finding alternate treatment is better in the future, but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker after a couple uses on wounds. Someone suggested I use Vetrycin for the antiseptic and then blue dye in water to achieve the blue color affect that deters the pecking by others. I will give that a try in the future! I attached a couple useful docs that were provided in the quail post…for future reference. :) we are just trying our best! It still sounds like the FDA is most concerned about commercial meat consumption and ingestion of the blu-kote…which I don’t plan on happening ever. But I will avoid if there are safer solutions.

Attachments

• 48FBDC7C-DC85-4289-B203-DACE2CD43B24.jpeg
    48FBDC7C-DC85-4289-B203-DACE2CD43B24.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
  • D51B3E0B-DFC1-40F7-9CCE-2420E9FC5890.jpeg
    D51B3E0B-DFC1-40F7-9CCE-2420E9FC5890.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17
Yeah I sprayed a couple of my male quail that were being beat up on and then was told it was terrible haha. I think using sparingly or finding alternate treatment is better in the future, but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker after a couple uses on wounds. Someone suggested I use Vetrycin for the antiseptic and then blue dye in water to achieve the blue color affect that deters the pecking by others. I will give that a try in the future! I attached a couple useful docs that were provided in the quail post…for future reference. :) we are just trying our best! It still sounds like the FDA is most concerned about commercial meat consumption and ingestion of the blu-kote…which I don’t plan on happening ever. But I will avoid if there are safer solutions.
I asked a Facebook group as well and they went after me for it. She just laid her first egg and looks fine to me. I only used it once and my dad isn’t too worried. It only says it’s a recall in Canada not the us

I asked a Facebook group as well and they went after me for it. She just laid her first egg and looks fine to me. I only used it once and my dad isn’t too worried. It only says it’s a recall in Canada not the us
Yeah, same. It also says it’s restricted from being ingested and used in the feed. Spraying their bald heads in hopes for less pecking seems like it would be okay. But I’ll probably not use anymore just in case…

Back
Top Bottom