Blu kote and chickens eggs

kateschwab15

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2021
One of my little girls earlobe was torn. Multiple people have recommended me to blu kote even tractor supply. After posting something on Facebook and people recommend it an hour after of using it they are all saying not to use it and that I can never eat an egg from her ever again. She isn’t laying eggs yet but when she does is it okay to eat the eggs from her after she had blu kote on her

That's so strange that they'd say something like that? I have never heard that before. When I used it for the first time I got it on my hand and it didn't take long for it wear off.

I have only used it on my turkey but if I ever use it on my hens I would still eat their eggs. :)
Some people like to spin up misinformation, that's all.

I sprayed it only once on here and when I was cleaning her she pecked at it but not a lot of it she’s only 15 weeks
Yeah I sprayed a couple of my male quail that were being beat up on and then was told it was terrible haha. I think using sparingly or finding alternate treatment is better in the future, but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker after a couple uses on wounds. Someone suggested I use Vetrycin for the antiseptic and then blue dye in water to achieve the blue color affect that deters the pecking by others. I will give that a try in the future! I attached a couple useful docs that were provided in the quail post…for future reference. :) we are just trying our best! It still sounds like the FDA is most concerned about commercial meat consumption and ingestion of the blu-kote…which I don’t plan on happening ever. But I will avoid if there are safer solutions.

Attachments

• 48FBDC7C-DC85-4289-B203-DACE2CD43B24.jpeg
    48FBDC7C-DC85-4289-B203-DACE2CD43B24.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
  • D51B3E0B-DFC1-40F7-9CCE-2420E9FC5890.jpeg
    D51B3E0B-DFC1-40F7-9CCE-2420E9FC5890.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom