Hole on chicken's back?

CharissaWirick

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Hello! I have an almost 1 year old Polish/ frizzle hen that has a hole (?) on her back. It is almost entirely tucked under her wing. I noticed a naked spot on her back a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed her with Blue Kote (you can see the remnants of that). Today, I noticed that it was much larger. I don't let them free range unless I am outback with them. I let them out for about an hour at a time, always supervised, so something didn't get her.
She has still been laying regularly. I have not witnessed bullying, but something is happening. It's about 1.5" long and maybe .5" deep. It is not bloody or red.

Is there something I can do for her or will she need to be culled? :(

I live down the road from Tractor Supply, so I can run their if need be. I live in Northwest Indiana. I cannot take her to the vet :(

In the photo, my husband's hand is on the left and the hen is facing him.

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5645.JPG
    IMG_5645.JPG
    526.6 KB · Views: 69
Do you have a rooster? That looks like rooster damage incurred inadvertently while mating. I would slather the wound with antibiotic ointment.

Do you have a rooster? That looks like rooster damage incurred inadvertently while mating. I would slather the wound with antibiotic ointment.
I do not have a rooster, but I do have a hen that thinks she is a rooster and mounts. Could it be that?

Can you remove her from the flock? I would clean her wound with Hydrogen Peroxide for the first cleaning, then clean her wound with a Saline rinse 2-3 times a day until it heals. Put Neosporin (without pain relief) on her wound after each cleaning. Keep her separated from the flock until she's fully recovered, then put a hen saddle on her until her feathers have grown back.

If you don't have a rooster, then I say this is caused by cannibalism. I would check your whole flock over for any other injuries. Sometimes when the victim chicken gets removed, they'll choose a new one to peck. If you find more signs of pecking (or feather plucking), I would immediately put Pinless Peepers on the whole flock. The hen who thinks she's a rooster, I would consider removing her from the flock (or getting a rooster to stop her) as I've seen hens like that to be the start of issues due to their imbalance.

Can you remove her from the flock? I would clean her wound with Hydrogen Peroxide for the first cleaning, then clean her wound with a Saline rinse 2-3 times a day until it heals. Put Neosporin (without pain relief) on her wound after each cleaning. Keep her separated from the flock until she's fully recovered, then put a hen saddle on her until her feathers have grown back.

If you don't have a rooster, then I say this is caused by cannibalism. I would check your whole flock over for any other injuries. Sometimes when the victim chicken gets removed, they'll choose a new one to peck. If you find more signs of pecking (or feather plucking), I would immediately put Pinless Peepers on the whole flock. The hen who thinks she's a rooster, I would consider removing her from the flock (or getting a rooster to stop her) as I've seen hens like that to be the start of issues due to their imbalance.
Thank you for the info! I have a dog kennel that I could keep her in. Do you think that would work well? I had a chicken "hospital" but it currently is full of baby chicks! 🤦‍♀️

Thank you for the info! I have a dog kennel that I could keep her in. Do you think that would work well? I had a chicken "hospital" but it currently is full of baby chicks! 🤦‍♀️
How big is it? If it's big enough for her to move around in it with a small feeder and waterer, then it should be fine. Just make sure it's in a predator proof building as her wound may call in more predators. (Chickens can still peck through the bars, so I don't suggest it be in the coop with the flock.)

How big is it? If it's big enough for her to move around in it with a small feeder and waterer, then it should be fine. Just make sure it's in a predator proof building as her wound may call in more predators. (Chickens can still peck through the bars, so I don't suggest it be in the coop with the flock.)
It housed my great dane through his t-rex phase! :)

Back
Top Bottom