Blu-Kote question

Splinty

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
New York
My hen got a bad wound on her butt so I ordered Blu-Kote like recommended from forum members but I have a question. Can we still eat her eggs while using this? Thanks

Ok. I have a picture of her wound in another thread labeled Please Help. I don't know how to like it. I think she scraped it on the ramp when it was snowing. The skin is torn and it was bleeding. She is also limping. I was going o keep her in the house in a crate till she heals.

Splinty, that wounds appears too deep for blu-kote. It appears that she has actually lost a good-sized patch of skin. This wound needs regular cleaning, I would suggest soaking it with a clean washcloth and warm water with epsom salts twice daily, followed by a thin coat of antibiotic ointment (like neosporin). Bandage it if you can to help keep it clean, and prevent it from drying out. I would also put her on an oral antibiotic (you will have to discard her eggs if you do this).

I've been washing it and applying neosporin. I over nighted the Blu Kote because of it being recommend by others. I have no idea how that happened. She was fine in the morning and then that. That's why I'm thinking she slipped. We have her inside in a crate right now. What happens if it dries up? Also oral meds are out of our budget right now so we are trying to do what we can without a vet. Will the Blu Kote do her harm?

Last edited:
Wounds that dry out don't heal as quickly, as drying damages the healing new tissue. Blu-kote is only for superficial wounds, not those that are into deep tissues or that have extensive loss of skin. No reason why you can't try good nursing care, but if the wound does get infected it will be much harder to cure and you may have to consider culling her. Animals can often heal amazingly large and deep wounds, so there is definitely hope.

I am so sorry, I'm never recommending anything ever again. I truly thought Blu-Kote was the right thing to use...I've had a lot of success with it on horse's with some pretty bad cuts on their legs etc...that's the only reason I spoke up. I just wanted to help.
hide.gif

I have a hen that was mated with so frequently that she lost most the feathers on her back and head and one of my large roosters mounted her one time too many and pretty much skinned her back down to the lower portion of her side. I brought her inside and monitored her for a few days and also bought and applied blukote because I read the original thread. So far the wound has dried up and she is still laying regularly everyday. I finally decided she was good to put back outside as long as I kept her separate from the roosters. She's been out there two days now and is acting as normal as can be while still laying regularly. I had to put another hen in with her today because she replaced the injured hen as the new favorite but all is well. She may not ever be 100% as far as feathers and cosmetic issues go but she is infection free and doing fine so thank you for the blukote referral.

I am so sorry, I'm never recommending anything ever again. I truly thought Blu-Kote was the right thing to use...I've had a lot of success with it on horse's with some pretty bad cuts on their legs etc...that's the only reason I spoke up. I just wanted to help.
hide.gif

Dont be sorry. I never heard of Blu Kote. At least I have it on hand just in case. It's all good :)

Back
Top Bottom