Blu the Roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rrand5, Aug 15, 2016.

1. rrand5

rrand5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2016
    Hi everyone,
    This is a barnyard mutt rooster that I purchased from a local farmer as a day old chick. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of breeds that could be in his lineage, I can't find any breeds with feathers that shade of blue on them. Also if I crossed him to a splash Ameraucana hen what would the chicks look like? Thanks in advance :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hard tellin... He's likely got Easter Egger in him. Just going by pattern and comb.

3. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you for the response, the pictures I took do not do justice to the blueness of his feathers, it is not the typical green iridescent. Do you happen to know of any breeds with more blueness to them? It is almost a navy blue color.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    A lot of breeds exist in blue. And mixing certain colors can make blue. Can you talk to the person you bought him from and maybe find out what breeds/colors are behind him?

5. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Unfortunately I don't have his # anymore, Thank you again :) he is just so beautiful I was curious if he looked like any breed in particular.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From what I can see, the feathers themselves are black. the blue is a sheen, correct?

Then genetically he's black, and crossed with the splash will give all blue based offspring. They'll have a lot of leakage, probably very striking birds.

the blue feathers from the offspring won't have that same blue sheen, sorry. If you breed him to a blue bird you'll have half blue/half black offspring. Breed him to another black bird, you'll have black offspring. That may get the pretty sheen you're looking for.

7. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you, @donraeyes I guess I should have specified that the blue is the sheen on the black feathers and that the feathers themselves are not blue. A little disappointed that they won't pass to the next gen, but not a big deal, I don't sell or show. Just breeding for fun and to maintain my own flock. Thanks so much for the input :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful bird regardless

9. rrand5

Apr 11, 2016
    Thank you, I think so too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by