Blu the Roo

rrand5

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
Hi everyone,
This is a barnyard mutt rooster that I purchased from a local farmer as a day old chick. Just wondering if anyone has any idea of breeds that could be in his lineage, I can't find any breeds with feathers that shade of blue on them. Also if I crossed him to a splash Ameraucana hen what would the chicks look like? Thanks in advance :)

Thank you for the response, the pictures I took do not do justice to the blueness of his feathers, it is not the typical green iridescent. Do you happen to know of any breeds with more blueness to them? It is almost a navy blue color.

A lot of breeds exist in blue. And mixing certain colors can make blue. Can you talk to the person you bought him from and maybe find out what breeds/colors are behind him?

Unfortunately I don't have his # anymore, Thank you again :) he is just so beautiful I was curious if he looked like any breed in particular.

From what I can see, the feathers themselves are black. the blue is a sheen, correct?

Then genetically he's black, and crossed with the splash will give all blue based offspring. They'll have a lot of leakage, probably very striking birds.

the blue feathers from the offspring won't have that same blue sheen, sorry. If you breed him to a blue bird you'll have half blue/half black offspring. Breed him to another black bird, you'll have black offspring. That may get the pretty sheen you're looking for.

Thank you, @donraeyes I guess I should have specified that the blue is the sheen on the black feathers and that the feathers themselves are not blue. A little disappointed that they won't pass to the next gen, but not a big deal, I don't sell or show. Just breeding for fun and to maintain my own flock. Thanks so much for the input :)

Back
Top Bottom