Blue Ameraucanas laying green eggs

Minniechickmama

Senora Pollo Loco
14 Years
Sep 4, 2009
Minnesota
First, I KNOW these are PURE Ameraucanas. I hatched all but one from light blue eggs from a breeder, not hatchery. One pullet is from a local breeder who I KNOW does not have a mixed flock. So, why would my Ameraucanas who are just starting to lay or resume laying, be putting out a greenish egg? I am totally stumped.
Even my hen who laid a light blue all last year is laying a more greenish egg.
Is there an explanation?
Thanks.

I don't know what to say about egg color change, however I often do find some of my girls lay bluer eggs on their second year than their first/pullet year, - But with eggs just simply being green, it happens. I've had a very nice quality black Ameraucana hen lay green eggs for me, most Buffs out there sadly lay a khaki-like color that needs improvement, and then I've even had a couple Araucanas in the past lay some khaki greenish eggs.

It does happen. It isn't desired but it does happen.

My SQ lav am lays a very slightly greenish egg compared to the blk am hen's eggs which are blue
idunno.gif

I was wondering if it was something that happens when they come into/back into lay? Seems crazy, but I know that the hen laid a perfectly blue egg last year. She was the only blue layer I have other than an EE that lays blue and I could tell the difference between their eggs easy enough. Maybe they will change back once they are laying consistently for a while again? I sure hope so.

It might be.

Often when some of my blue-laying breeds are brand new layers/pullets, their first eggs will be quite green, then finally turn the proper blue in just 3-4 days.

Illia, the color I am getting from that pen are between the darkest blue and the obvious green on your avatar. They aren't quite one but not quite the other color. It is irritating me
barnie.gif

You can hatch tinted egg layers from white egg layers therefore you can hatch a greenish blue egg layer from blue egg layers. The tint of a brown egg layer will get lighter as the bird gets older so normally a greenish blue egg produced by a pullet could become almost blue as the bird ages. The tint of a brown egg layer can change due to a number of factors. Normally the tint decreases but the tint can increase. If your bird is producing a blue egg as a pullet, it could be genetically a tinted egg layer. The genes that produce the brown tint became activated as the bird gets older- so you get a greenish blue egg. Egg color is a complicated subject and is dependent upon more than genetics. Genetically a bird has the potential for a certain color but other factors effect the real color.

Tim

Last edited:
You can hatch tinted egg layers from white egg layers therefore you can hatch a greenish blue egg layer from blue egg layers. The tint of a brown egg layer will get lighter as the bird gets older so normally a greenish blue egg produced by a pullet could become almost blue as the bird ages. The tint of a brown egg layer can change due to a number of factors. Normally the tint decreases but the tint can increase. If your bird is producing a blue egg as a pullet, it could be genetically a tinted egg layer. The genes that produce the brown tint became activated as the bird gets older- so you get a greenish blue egg. Egg color is a complicated subject and is dependent upon more than genetics. Genetically a bird has the potential for a certain color but other factors effect the real color.

Tim

Well, Tim, that was clear as mud
lau.gif

I am kidding.
I discovered something sort of funny about this... If I get out there to grab the eggs right after they are laid and still somewhat warm, they are blue, but as they get cold, the darken toward a greener color. Mood eggs? ha ha I don't think so. But seeing that these are first time layers with the exception of the one hen, maybe the cold is doing something ALONG with them being new layers. Not all of them are that way, I am getting a definite blue egg out of that pen too.

Funnier still, and this goes along with what Tim is saying, my Black Minorca pen has a couple of girls laying very lightly blue tinted eggs. I think they are beginning to fade a bit toward white now that they have been laying for a while. I was shocked at first, but I think Blue is a close color to white and thought maybe this was just one of those cases of it starting out that way and then they will whiten as they lay more. I have Hamburgs that started out laying light brown and then after about a month they were white. I have no doubt that my hens are purebred, so as long as I know that, I can deal with what I am seeing.

Thanks for the help though, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom