Blue Amerucana x Welsummer

jbraswell

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Hello everyone,
I am new to breeding and interested in starting an olive egger project. I know with an ameraucana and Welsummer I will get green to olive color eggs, but I was wandering as far as plumage color, what would the outcome be of a blue ameraucana roo x with a Welsummer hen? Has anyone done this cross and have any pics?

Assuming that both birds are purebred for their colors, the following may occur:

Blue Americauna Rooster x Partridge Welsummer Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Partridge Welsummer Rooster x Blue Americauna Hen:
Same results

The reason that you might get black chicks is because Blue is an imcomplete dominant mutation of black Bl/bl+. They carry the black gene but it is not expressed. Bred to partridge, which is wildtype bl+/bl+ you end up with 50% of both male and female chicks inheriting Bl/bl+ and 50% bl+/bl+.

Now, this is assuming that the Blue Americaunas are "Blue" blue, and not "Blue -something-or-other"

And regardless of all of this, the offspring still could turn out with leakage, uneven color, or something totally unpredicted! It's a gamble, but this is the best I can offer you.

Assuming that both birds are purebred for their colors, the following may occur:

Blue Americauna Rooster x Partridge Welsummer Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Partridge Welsummer Rooster x Blue Americauna Hen:
Same results

The reason that you might get black chicks is because Blue is an imcomplete dominant mutation of black Bl/bl+. They carry the black gene but it is not expressed. Bred to partridge, which is wildtype bl+/bl+ you end up with 50% of both male and female chicks inheriting Bl/bl+ and 50% bl+/bl+.

Now, this is assuming that the Blue Americaunas are "Blue" blue, and not "Blue -something-or-other"

And regardless of all of this, the offspring still could turn out with leakage, uneven color, or something totally unpredicted! It's a gamble, but this is the best I can offer you.

Thank you for the info, this was very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom