Blue Andalusian/Barred Rock cross?

mopargal1972

Double K Poultry
10 Years
Dec 23, 2009
Lincoln County, Missouri
I have a free range flock that consists of EE's, Barred Rocks, and a Blue Andalusian rooster. (There are also EE and Barred Rock roosters) I hatched some eggs from them on Tues and was surprised to see 2 blue chicks in my incubator. One of them has a pea comb, so I assuming that he/she is an EE. This chick has a single comb though. Can I safely assume that it is a Barred Rock/Andalusian? What can I expect it to look like when it feathers out?

019-1.jpg

021.jpg

From what I read in the original post, the roo would be the barred rock.

Certainly not pure BR, so that's out. I think EE's can still have single combs sometimes, but it doesn't really look EE to me. So by process of elimination, I'd say BR/Andalusian cross.

ETA: Just reread the original post and I see you have a Blue Andalusian roo too. So that changes everything if he's the father. (which I would bet he probably is in this chick) Then what Cynthia said would be correct if the BR is the mom.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it safe to assume that this chick is a pullet? I'm 99.9% sure that the chick came out of a Barred Rock egg. Most of my EE's lay green eggs, and the ones that don't lay a pink egg. I had only set 2 green eggs in the incubator and I watched those chicks hatch. They were brown and chipmunk striped. Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom