Blue Andalusian Rooster? (6 weeks)

My blue Andalusian has white ear lobes and I was told it was a straight BA not sure
1f603.png
Love the feedback by the way i'm new to chickens so this is great to hear from you guys ! Thanks

For starters, Blue Andalusians are white egg layers with white earlobes. They also have white skin, with a slate wash. And they have a build similar to that of a Leghorn.

That hen is clearly not 'pure' Andalusian due to the lack of white earlobes, the chunky body shape, and the light legs.
Right, as I stated, she is a cross that we bred between a BA hen and a Cuckoo Marans roo.

Also, she did not have a 'pure' Cuckoo Marans for a father. Cuckoo Marans roosters pass a barring gene to all of their offspring.
I guess that would have to be taken up with the breeder we got the roo from.

All of his other offspring have acquired the barring gene, but as he was the only rooster we had in that pen at the time I'm certain he was the one who fertilized the egg she hatched from. I, of course, can't certify that he is 100% CM, as I don't know his lineage back to the very beginning of the gene pool, but I am fairly confident he is.

Last edited:
My blue Andalusian has white ear lobes and I was told it was a straight BA not sure
1f603.png
Love the feedback by the way i'm new to chickens so this is great to hear from you guys ! Thanks
Yes, the white earlobes are a must for pure BA. Your bird probably is, I just wondered because sometimes if you get chickens from a yard that has mixed breeds you might end up with a mix. I love all the information flowing through this place. It's great! I hope you have a hen. Please let us know when you find out!
smile.png

Last edited:
I guess that would have to be taken up with the breeder we got the roo from.

All of his other offspring have acquired the barring gene, but as he was the only rooster we had in that pen at the time I'm certain he was the one who fertilized the egg she hatched from. I, of course, can't certify that he is 100% CM, as I don't know his lineage back to the very beginning of the gene pool, but I am fairly confident he is.
He might have been the only adult rooster, but what about cockerels? I've had cockerels that started successfully mount hens at just 10 weeks old. And hens can stay fertile from a single breeding for over 3 weeks. She does not have barring, therefore could not have the Marans rooster as her father.

He might have been the only adult rooster, but what about cockerels? I've had cockerels that started successfully mount hens at just 10 weeks old. And hens can stay fertile from a single breeding for over 3 weeks. She does not have barring, therefore could not have the Marans rooster as her father.

Perhaps I should have been more complete in my statement, the CM rooster was the only male chicken in that pen at the time of fertilization. We purchased 26 day old chicks for this rooster and he was confined to a pen adjacent to the pullets until they were ready for him to be integrated.

We also had a Silver Spangled Hamburg rooster, but he was confined to another pen and had no ability to access these pullets as it is a covered pen. We do now have two roosters that are from this CM rooster and they both have barring, one from a BA hen and one from a Wyandotte. They hatched with this blue pullet and had no chance to be the rooster or even cockerel to be the daddy of my blue girl.

I'm not saying I can explain how this happened, but I know that my CM rooster fertilized the egg for the hen in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom