Blue Andalusian thread!

Umm pretty high i think at least 1st or second she never picks on anyone out in the run or gets picked on. She sleeps on the top roost with one other girl i have a upper and lower roosts. They don't let others up there. She's very flighty no one can get her either. I had a rooster at one time he couldn't even get her

I have sure enjoyed this thread as I have watched my Andalusian (Splash) chick grow and needed to figure out what he was!
Now that I'm sure he's a he (and I have 8 young roosters for my five young hens!) I need to find him a new home. Thought I'd post a quick note on here in case anyone is interested. I live in NH and travel often in the NH-VT-MA-CT-NY-ME area. Anyone interested?

15 weeks old, hand raised on organic feed, allows me to hold him. His feathers are getting more spectacular by the day!

Keeping along the lines of rehoming chickens, we have a pure black andalusian rooster that we would love to rehome instead of culling. He is 18 weeks and very docile in nature. We are in the Quad Cities, Illinois side and could meet someone in the local area.

Greetings, BA fans. Thanks to everyone for the photos and information. I became a BA fan after reading about them and am new to the breed, with a pullet and cockerel approaching 8 weeks old. The male has been fearful from day one, but the pullet was among my most friendly chicks until a couple of weeks ago. I handled her daily and she was happy to hop on my lap. No more.

They both now embody a negative stereotype of "flighty." My other so-called "flighty" breeds, two Leghorns and a Penedesenca, are now calm by comparison.

Is this an adolescent phase they'll outgrow? Are they just having teenager fun throwing a fits? Yes, I knew to expect birds that are reactive and like to fly, but I'm disappointed at the sheer panic, especially the pullet. Their overreactions upset the entire flock, so unnecessarily.

Greetings, BA fans. Thanks to everyone for the photos and information. I became a BA fan after reading about them and am new to the breed, with a pullet and cockerel approaching 8 weeks old. The male has been fearful from day one, but the pullet was among my most friendly chicks until a couple of weeks ago. I handled her daily and she was happy to hop on my lap. No more.

They both now embody a negative stereotype of "flighty." My other so-called "flighty" breeds, two Leghorns and a Penedesenca, are now calm by comparison.

Is this an adolescent phase they'll outgrow? Are they just having teenager fun throwing a fits? Yes, I knew to expect birds that are reactive and like to fly, but I'm disappointed at the sheer panic, especially the pullet. Their overreactions upset the entire flock, so unnecessarily.
Your days of lap Andalusians are over. They will calm down as they mature but they won't hop into your lap anymore. Just keep doing what you need to do around them without making alarming movements if you can keep from it and you will be happy with them again... in a few months. When your pullet reaches point of lay, she will calm down again quite a bit. They will still be their curious selves and flock around your feet while feeding... patience is required with this breed. Good luck.

We have 5 andalusians, 2 roos and 3 hens (one of each color white, blue, and black). The roos have never been social and always scared and flightly. The white and black pullets are a bit tamer and will come up to us but we can't touch them. The blue pullet on the other hand jumps in our lap and on our shoulders all the time, even at 4.5 months now.

When might she stop doing this? It really is a simple pleasure we would hate to lose.

Last edited:
Your days of lap Andalusians are over. They will calm down as they mature but they won't hop into your lap anymore. Just keep doing what you need to do around them without making alarming movements if you can keep from it and you will be happy with them again... in a few months. When your pullet reaches point of lay, she will calm down again quite a bit. They will still be their curious selves and flock around your feet while feeding... patience is required with this breed. Good luck.
Thanks, Lacy. I don't really want lap chickens, so sounds like we'll be fine. I just want to be able to enter the coop without panic and feathers flying. These birds are a pleasure to watch, clearly smart, and are the first to grab a treat. I'm happy to have them but not looking forward to introducing the BA male to my big BR roo, but that's another topic.

Last edited:
We have 5 andalusians, 2 roos and 3 hens (one of each color white, blue, and black). The roos have never been social and always scared and flightly. The white and black pullets are a bit tamer and will come up to us but we can't touch them. The blue pullet on the other hand jumps in our lap and on our shoulders all the time, even at 4.5 months now.

When might she stop doing this? It really is a simple pleasure we would hate to lose.
Sounds like yours may just stay a pet -- or thinks of you as the best and highest roost around? Even within a breed the individuals vary so much.

Back
Top Bottom