Blue Andalusian?

Rivendell Chick

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Northeast Georgia, USA
This pretty girl is 7 weeks and was an solid black chick when ordered as part of a rare assortment from Hoovers. I thought Midnight Majesty Marans, but as she gets more silvery I am wondering if she is actually a Blue Andalusian?

Largest of my girls except one Marans, very friendly with me and hops on my lap when I visit the run. Very athletic also.
20200528_113946.jpg

From what I can see, I believe the hybrid has yellow feet. We'll be able to tell with age, regardless!
:) She doesn't have the white ear flap that andalusians have either, but she is also a lot darker than the breeder photos I am seeing on Hoovers. These are my first chickens, so not sure how much their plumage changes as they mature. If she is the sapphire gem, I'm totally down for the high production of large brown eggs, which we use the most of currently.

I can say that she has the best temprament of the entire flock, with the little olive egger a close second.

Awww, I'm glad! A few years back, it felt like every blue chick was an Andalusian. Now they've made so many blue hybrids, it's difficult to keep up with! I always have to find the hatchery the chick is from and figure out what they call them, comb type, skin color etc. What really matters in the long run, is the temperament and she already seems to be great there!

Awww, I'm glad! A few years back, it felt like every blue chick was an Andalusian. Now they've made so many blue hybrids, it's difficult to keep up with! I always have to find the hatchery the chick is from and figure out what they call them, comb type, skin color etc. What really matters in the long run, is the temperament and she already seems to be great there!
The writeup says there is a tie to the andalusians, which makes sense to me. She was almost solid black as a chick, so surprised she keeps getting lighter. Thanks so much for your input on my girls!

So it looks like my rare assortment ended up being:

3 french black copper marans (the mean girls!)
1 wheaten maran
1 olive egger
1 starlight green egger
1 sapphire gem egger
1 gold wyandotte
1 welsummer
1 partridge cochin

Should be one pretty egg basket in a few months!

Back
Top Bottom