Blue Australorp breeding

Mandy79

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
Tonopah, AZ
Hello everyone,
My name is Mandy and I live in Tonopah, AZ. I am just starting out in the chicken world and am interested in breeding blue australorps. Can anyone offer advice? Don't have money to spend on an incubator right now, maybe later on the future. So for now I will be letting the hens do the work... :) Looking forward to hearing from ya'll! Thanks

Hello everyone,
My name is Mandy and I live in Tonopah, AZ. I am just starting out in the chicken world and am interested in breeding blue australorps. Can anyone offer advice? Don't have money to spend on an incubator right now, maybe later on the future. So for now I will be letting the hens do the work... :) Looking forward to hearing from ya'll! Thanks
what advise are you looking for? as to what to do when breeding blue birds? always breed back to black, because breeding Blues with Blues will eventually dilute the blue color

That is somethong I did not know. I as far as advice goes, what are the main breeds that I should possibly cross with the Australorp? I have been e-mailing back and forth to a lady in Goodyear, AZ and her 10 year old son breeds Champion Blue, Black, and Splash Orpingtons and Ameraucanas. I was thinking of getting a few chicks from her when they are available. Also if there is anyone that lives semi close to me that has any chicks I can buy.

The other issue I have been thinking about is if I am going to buy a few chicks from Champion lines I don't want to inbreed them, I would like to keep the quality in them. Am I thinking to much...lol?

The other issue I have been thinking about is if I am going to buy a few chicks from Champion lines I don't want to inbreed them, I would like to keep the quality in them. Am I thinking to much...lol?
most champion lines are highly inbred, they just Cull and Cull hard for the unwanted inbreeding traits

why would you want to go out of the breed(autralorp) to do outcrossing?

Last edited:
What do you mean about outcrossing? I think you mean cross breeding, and the reason I would be doing that is because I can't find anyone here in the U.S. that has, can or will ship live Blue Australorp chicks because I don't have the means to hatch my own eggs.

What do you mean about outcrossing? I think you mean cross breeding, and the reason I would be doing that is because I can't find anyone here in the U.S. that has, can or will ship live Blue Australorp chicks because I don't have the means to hatch my own eggs.

outcross and crossbreeding are one and the same

Back
Top Bottom