Blue Australorp or Blue Star?

JoyMcW

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
Hi all! I just picked up these two cuties. One is a blue australorp and one a blue star. I’m unable to tell the difference. I got them from Ideal Poultry. Online their site says their blue stars are from blue andalusians and barred rocks. Can anyone help me please? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_9841.jpeg
    IMG_9841.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    424.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9842.jpeg
    IMG_9842.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9843.jpeg
    IMG_9843.jpeg
    419 KB · Views: 20
Hi all! I just picked up these two cuties. One is a blue australorp and one a blue star. I’m unable to tell the difference. I got them from Ideal Poultry. Online their site says their blue stars are from blue andalusians and barred rocks. Can anyone help me please? Thanks so much!
The Blue Star will have the more pronounced comb. I'll try to find my photo. So, I think it is your darker one.

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_195956834~2.jpg
    PXL_20210427_195956834~2.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 20
The bottom one is the Blue Star

Just seeing your post now. Black Australorp chicks tend to have the look of fancy eyeliner around the eyes, so I think the Blue Australorp in the bottom one. Also, I ordered Blue Star chicks from them back in January, and they looked like your top chick. Sadly, they all died in transit from a longer than normal delivery and the cold temps.

The "tiara" is a trait of the Barred Rock so the bottom pics must be the Blue Star.
Snapchat-1656759144.jpg
Also Australorps are usually white breasted as hatchlings not yellowish so the top pic have got to be Australorp.
Snapchat-1148152314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom