BLUE BLUE EGGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have temporarily suspended my search for a true blue egg, it seems to be more luck than technique or breeder reproducible skills.

I am getting visions of unicorns with this dependable blue egg laying story.

I am sure that there are sky blue eggs out there but no breeder has them, or can reproduce their genetics consistently. I've spent 2 months checking craigslist daily and this site as well as others with sorta blue, some blue, some turquoise blue..... no one can say I have chickens that consistently lay sky blue or darker blue eggs.

I have the most consistent dark and light brown egg layers (Marans, Barnevelders, Welsumers, and Delawares) and so plumage is my next choice.

I gave myself a consolation prize and focused on plumage. I have 18 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes coming next Tuesday from a very reputable breeder with the dark-burgundy-red and blue lacing large Wyandottes, this is exciting. Silver laced Wyandottes are a bit harder to find from a reputable breeder (never a hatchery) because of the timing and many SLW breeders had bad hatches this spring.

Good luck to everyone, and I hope you find the real blue eggers.

I had several blue egg layers a few years back. I purchased them as hens from a woman who freely admitted that she did not know which hens layed blue vs dull green or turkoise. These were from greater than 100 hens from one of the major hatcheries, which one I have no idea. Purchased 10 out of which 4 made nice blue eggs. That won't get you show stock or stable genetics but at 20$ or so a hen you can just sell the girls that don't give you the color or quality of egg you want. Best method I know if you are not interested in paying show bird prices which come with no guarantees anyway.

I had 2 girls that consistently laid blue eggs....EVERY time. Unfortunately the neighbor's dog got them. I stuffed all the eggs I had left from them in the bator and am growing out 6 pullets from them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these girls lay the same color. Here are the color eggs they laid:
15626_101_1180.jpg

Quote:
Thanks! I loved those eggs...and the girls too of course...they were my first hens.
hit.gif
I really hope the pullets lay the same colors as their mommies.

I have a lot of hens that lay a very blue egg and a lot that vary too.
But with shipping you would end up paying over $100 for one of my gals.

When I get a chance I am going to do a bluest egg hatch.
I usually set eggs for what araucana traits I want not for color alone.

A true Araucana egg is teal, not really blue. The egg color is produced by the chemical bili- verdin not bili-azul.

If you DO breed for a consistent blue, blue egg, I want to be on your list to receive fertile eggs! I can only have hens, and with a suburban chicken flock, I'm much more interested in egg color over standards! I'm thinking there are more and more like me, wanting a rainbow of eggs in a basket!
big_smile.png

Just a really nice blue egg, that is the hen I want. I hope you can reproduce that same color and continue to over and over, then you will have something.

It was nice to see the picture anyway.

I may have a pretty good contact right here in Florida for "true" Araucana hens that are consistently laying that same blue egg. I am going to see for myself this weekend and she says she has plenty to pick from.

I may have hit the jackpot for my BLUE EGG search.

I can hardly wait for Saturday and to see these eggs in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom