Blue brahma eggs

So that would be 2nd generation before you could really see the result?
You will see results with each generation, they just may not be the results that you want to see. Another problem is that you can get a good idea of what egg color genes a hen has by looking at the egg she lays but for a rooster you have to wait and see what color eggs the hens he fathers lay.

They would most likely be some shade of green. It would take quite a few generations to try to breed the brown out and quite possibly it may not happen. This is the reason that people wanting to bring the blue color to heir chosen breed, choose a breed that lays white eggs to start. Crossing a blue egg layer with a white egg layer gives light blue eggs in the F1 generation.
So realistically it would probably only be green eggs from a Brahma because of the brown eggs. I think green eggs are still OK but wouldn't it be strange to see a Brahma lay a blue egg!

So realistically it would probably only be green eggs from a Brahma because of the brown eggs. I think green eggs are still OK but wouldn't it be strange to see a Brahma lay a blue egg!
I have a Light Brahma/White Laced Red Cornish cross hen that lays a brown egg. Last year she was bred to a Cream Legbar rooster so her female offspring from last year's hatch should have laid green eggs. I did not keep any of her pullets to POL so did not see what color their eggs turned out.

This year she was bred to a Rose Comb Legbar rooster. There is a 50:50 chance that he had two blue egg genes and a 50:50 chance that he had one blue egg gene and one white egg gene. If all of her female offspring from this year's hatch lay green eggs, that rooster had two blue egg genes. If half of them lay green eggs and half lay brown eggs then he only had one blue egg gene.

I think what would be to happen is that each time you put a Brahma with the Araucana or offspring you reintroduce the brown egg gene. So by wanting it to look like a Brahma it makes it more difficult because of that. I think it could be done but it would be alot of selective breeding over generations and luck!

I think what would be to happen is that each time you put a Brahma with the Araucana or offspring you reintroduce the brown egg gene. So by wanting it to look like a Brahma it makes it more difficult because of that. I think it could be done but it would be alot of selective breeding over generations and luck!
If you can find a Brahma look-a-like that lays white eggs, it would be much easier to make a blue egg laying Brahma.

Do you guys think it would be slightly easier to do this with a brahma hen that lays pink eggs?
I don't think anyone really knows which brown egg genes are involved in a pink looking egg. My cross hen lays brown eggs which under certain lighting conditions seem to have a pinkish cast to them.

The problem of how do you breed out the brown egg genes is still there.

Back
Top Bottom