Blue Cheese crumbles

**How young??** Just saw that after I'd responded. If they are out of the brooder they will be fine, if they are still little yet, I'd hold off on it!

Yes, I've fed mine them before. I don't get wrapped up in what they can or can't eat, if I eat it and have it leftover, then they are given it! Very simple!

Last edited:
Okay, great, thanks. I thought I would ask because of the mold or whatever it is that makes the cheese "blue cheese." I don't want to poison my girls. There is some potato salad that I would love to give them, but I read about the skins of potatoes being toxic or something. These are red potatoes in the salad, and there is some skin left on them. My girls are 15 weeks old.

Mine get all leftovers, anything we have eaten. I figure if the mold in blue cheese is ok for me to eat it won't hurt the chickens. HOWEVER- I never give them any kind of moldy food (cheese, bread, coleslaw, fruit, etc) that's not supposed to be moldy. As for potatoes, mine eat cooked ones all the time, skins and all. The skins that might hurt them are the ones that are green (something called "solanum" sp?) which I would peel off if feeding to my family so I just avoid feeding them any raw potato products.

Potato salad is fine for them too. I have given my chickens potato peels as well, it doesn't hurt them, just do not give them green potato skins!

I'm sorry -- one more thing while I have your help. Are the seeds of red grapes okay if I give them seeded grapes? Thanks.

Me Too! Thanks for all the practical and informed advice.
I inherited 9 hens and a rooster. We lost two hens but have hatched two more, so maintaining equilibrium!
It really helps to have good resources and experienced advice!

Mine get all leftovers, anything we have eaten. I figure if the mold in blue cheese is ok for me to eat it won't hurt the chickens. HOWEVER- I never give them any kind of moldy food (cheese, bread, coleslaw, fruit, etc) that's not supposed to be moldy. As for potatoes, mine eat cooked ones all the time, skins and all. The skins that might hurt them are the ones that are green (something called "solanum" sp?) which I would peel off if feeding to my family so I just avoid feeding them any raw potato products.

Back
Top Bottom