Blue cochin roo over white cochin hen... what do I get????

So what did you get.... I am trying to figure mine out

Regarding Lemon Blues -

Lemon Blues are bred from Brown Red which is the gold version of Silver Birchen. You MUST use Birchen/Brown Red as these are based on the Birchen (eR) gene. This gene produces the gold/silver laced feathers on the breast which is a requirement for these colors.

Many folks have mixes based upon black that have laced hackles (which is really just gold/silver leakage) and they call them Lemon Blues, but they are not Lemon Blues (or for that matter Brown Red or Silver Birchen). These are what you get when crossing to Buff but they lack the correct lacing pattern.

The correct mating would be blue or splash x Brown Red and then cross offspring to either each other or back to the Brown Red parent to produce pure (eR/eR) Lemon Blues. The biggest issue is finding the Brown Reds to get a start.

Dave

I have also bred a blue Cochin roo over a white leghorn. I am a little confused on it's coloring so far. The head is gold, with light grey wings, underbelly and bum, and darker grey on the rest of the body.

These are hatchery chicks so there is no telling what is hiding in there.  I assume they are from a white line.  I guess I will get all whites with a blue gene.  If I breed back to the blue, I could then throw some blues?  I suck at this genetics thing.

I have a million color questions... what do a gold lace crossed with a silver laced throw?

What makes barred.....??

Lemon blue???? I got tons of questions/????
A blue cochin crossed with a Red/Brown or what used to be referred to as a star right gets you a Lemon Blue. It is my new project. I will have peeps in spring and post pics.

Back
Top Bottom