Blue cochin roo over white cochin hen... what do I get????

dday911

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
I have tried to find the answer and I am sure it is on here somewhere. But in all the chatter on the color blue, I did not see the results for this cross. I got a bunch of chicks and got two blue roos but no white roo to go with the white hens. Just curious what color combos I will get?

Last edited:
ok, lets see if I get this right... if the white has 2 copies or dominant white; all chicks will be white.

if it has one copy of dominant white; half will be white and half will be something else (depends on what white is masking)

if it has recessive white; half will be blue and half will be black

in theory.
lol.png
did I get this right? I'm kinda new to the whole genetics scene!
lol.png
fell free to correct me!

so I guess there isn't a really good way to tell for sure unless you try it!
big_smile.png

These are hatchery chicks so there is no telling what is hiding in there. I assume they are from a white line. I guess I will get all whites with a blue gene. If I breed back to the blue, I could then throw some blues? I suck at this genetics thing.

I have a million color questions... what do a gold lace crossed with a silver laced throw?

What makes barred.....??

Lemon blue???? I got tons of questions/????

breeding white x color usually you will get no whites. you will get blues and whatever is hiding under the white hens color.

A gold laced x a silver laced will result in sex linked chicks , i beleive where the males will be silver laced and the females will be the gold laced with silver tips on the wings.

Lemon blue i am not sure about , would like to learn that one myself. From what i read i think you need a lemon blue x buff to produce lemon blue but i am not sure on that one.

Here is a thread on lemon blue you might find interesting !
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66628&p=1

Last edited by a moderator:
i had white leghorn roo over blue cochin hens all chickens are white some have a couple spots in them that have a feather or 2 of grey color nothing more.

I crossed Splash Cochin hen x Blue Cochin rooster and got one white chick and one smokey grey chick. I thought I would get 50% splash and 50% blue but this didn't happen.

Back
Top Bottom