Blue comb not eating or drinking

pamelageier

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2021
My leg horn was hiding yesterday in the coop.i brought her inside because she is lethargic not eating or drinking butt was caked with orange goo and poop. I bathed her to make sure it wasn't hitch hikers and clean her butt. Vent looks normal crop is empty for at least 48 hours. I forced down electrolytes and vitamins yesterday. She won't even eat mealworms.. She just stands. She doesn't lay eggs. If she does they collapse after she lays them and all other eggs get dirty. Also her comb which is usually bright red is now turning purple in patches. Does anyone have any ideas? None of the others are sick. I HAVE attached pictures

You HAVE attached photos. We don't see any.

When was the last time you got an egg from her? Have you see any discharge from her vent since you cleaned it? Put a little extra sugar in her electrolyte water and see if it perks her up.

Collapsing eggs sounds like she could use a good dose of calcium at the very least. I'd give her a calcium citrate tablet once a day until she starts laying normal eggs. Also if you think the "orange goo" was from a broken egg inside her I'd start her on antibiotics to prevent infection in any egg material still inside her.

Back
Top Bottom