Blue Copper Marans help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MandyH, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I know putting a black copper roo over blue hens will give me blue coppers. But do blue coppers breed true or will I get into all of the crazy blue genetics by breeding blue copper to blue copper or will I get only blue copper's by breeding blue copper to blue copper?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Blue Coppers work in the same way any "Blue ---'s" do, in that they go by BBS genetics. But really, crossing a black copper to a solid blue girl does not give a true Blue Copper on the first generation. [​IMG]

Anyway, Blue Copper x Blue Copper gives Blue, Black, and Splash coppers. [​IMG]

3. MandyH

Thanks, that what I thought. I've raised blue birds for several years and figured that it was the same.

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:So then this is my dilemma... I asked once before but never was told these quotients in the answer. When my chickies grow up, will it be better to keep a black Copper roo(if there is one in the bunch) over the Blue copper girls instead of the blue copper roo. So far out of 8 chicks at 4 weeks old it is looking like my only male is a blue one with no copper showing yet... He has had an orange comb since a few days old though, then 3 blue copper females(one could possibly be male traits wise but no comb yet), then I have 4 black copper females(I'm thinking) and they have absolutely no sign of male in them unless I have a late bloomer in that bunch. Looks like I better be praying for a black copper roo to show up in the bunch...

5. MandyH

That was throwing me off too about getting BBS. But I wasn't sure how the copper factored in either. I would be interested in knoweing what birds to breed to each other to be able to get only blue copper chicks. I have a little blue copper cockeral and he is GORGEOUS, then I have a splash hen, so I was wondering what I would get out of this mating.

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:if you breed black copper to splash copper then you will get all blue coppers.

1 person likes this.
  7. thick chick

thick chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2015
    What if I cross my blue copper maran rooster with my french black copper maran. What will I get

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If they both have feathered legs, they are both 'french' Marans.

9. thick chick

Jul 31, 2015
    Yes both are feathered legs

10. thick chick

Jul 31, 2015
    So I will get the black and the blues if I cross them ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by