Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this, I had a little more thought onto this. Many people want birds that are "no frills". For example, Araucana have the tufts. Breed two tufted birds together and you have a lethal gene. They also have rumplessness that can make it even more difficult to breed. Balance issues can abound and many may have to breed via AI.

With the Amercauanas, there is the issue of the beards. Many have such full beards that it can get in the way of eating and drinking. If not properly kept, it can get into the eyes of the bird and cause infection and let's not forget the whole "mites flock to the beard" area of thought.

Just random things of why I am not impressed with the Amercauanas that I bought and some of the reasons I do not own any Araucanas.
Ok you do raise a good point, some people may not like the "frills" as you call it, but then many people do like the look of ear tufts or beards. I was just trying to make a suggestion for people that wanted a recognized breed that they can show that lays a blue egg.
We have a flock of true rumpless Aracaunanas at the U of A and we do not seem to have any fertility problems with ours, and we have not and will not AI. We also have some bearded breeds (Favorelles, Houdans, and Silkies) and eating and drinking seem to not be a big obstacle and neither do eye infections. However, i do believe you when you say that you've seen these issues in your own flock.

By the way, we no longer have the blue feathered blue egg layers at the U of A. you would have to get in contact with someone who is starting to raise them, I'm sure someone on this thread can help you get some eggs.

Last edited:
"In my own flock". I'm not sure how to take that one, so I'll just ignore it...

The beards on the ones I got are very, very full. Which is adorable, but not exactly functional. Very high maintenance compared to the Langshans. And something I do not have to worry about maintaining if anyone wants to pick.

I can see and definitely understand your stance on preserving the breeds that we have. But, sometimes, functionality wins out. This could be the perfect "breed" for someone who wants the eggs, but does not want to worry about the other issues that may ensue when keeping and breeding the more established breeds.

I do wonder if the personality of these birds reflects more to the Leghorn with this strain of birds?

all i meant was that you have seen eye infections in your flock of birds. and yes they act more like leghorns than anything else

Now now children, lets not fight.
highfive.gif
"Brothers have gotta hug"
love.gif

all i meant was that you have seen eye infections in your flock of birds. and yes they act more like leghorns than anything else

MMmhmmm.....why does this remind me of a particular person...

Anyway. Not just mine. Unfortunately I have seen it at some shows as well. I don't know how well the Leghorn personality would work with the Langshan community. Are they as flighty as the Leghorns? Do they like to inflict damage on each other as much as a Leghorn?

MMmhmmm.....why does this remind me of a particular person...

Anyway. Not just mine. Unfortunately I have seen it at some shows as well. I don't know how well the Leghorn personality would work with the Langshan community. Are they as flighty as the Leghorns? Do they like to inflict damage on each other as much as a Leghorn?
does ring a bell doesn't it......

When we had them they seemed to do fine with each other, and not damage each other. Especially if these were in a backyard flock with more room to get away from each other i don't think you would have any problems

as far as the WHOLE NAME BIT here are my thoughts

when MR HALL first gave my son some eggs i called DR bramwell to ask what they where he said " they are a progect production blue egg laying line " that a friend had been working on there pupose was to produce high numbers of evenly colored blue eggs

I later got some eggs for myself and they are verry evenly colored nice large blue eggs

so when it comes to a name why not blue egg layers i do not know of any other breed call blue egg layers do you ??? and that is what they are in both cases 1-they are blue and are a production line bird 2- they lay blue eggs. so by calling them blue egg layers you are defining exacly what they are

and when it comes to the EE calling the term EE has come to be refering to a MUTT or MIX or anny chicken that lay a colored egg and there are a lot hoo find the term " its just an EE " to be verry insulting and "rude"

it also means a bird that could lay a green or blue or tan or pink or cream or lite brown EX EX EX this is where the term EE came from the fack that a flock of these birds could produce a colorfull basket of eggs like an easter egg basket that was allready colored so the term EE dose not work when decribing these birds as they ALL LAY EVENLY COLORED BLUE EGGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom