Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have legbars, amaraucanas, araucanas, and blue egg layers and so far the blue egg layers out lay the others with the lagbars next and the the amaraucanas and lastly the araucanas

Quote: The numbers that you find are for battery layers in Brittan. The CLs we have are what was left of the original backyard version. It was a rescue by Green Fire Farms and imported to the US. They are not the best layers but not the worst. CLs lay like heritage breeds here. Also, the numbers you see for laying eggs is with supplemental light and often with a forced molt.

The UofA Blues should lay more. Possibly a lot more. As with everything chicken, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
i have legbars, amaraucanas, araucanas, and blue egg layers and so far the blue egg layers out lay the others with the lagbars next and the the amaraucanas and lastly the araucanas
If that is the case, in 5-6 months I hope you are still selling eggs because I will be in the market for some UofA blue egg layers
smile.png

I personally prefer the matte finish on the eggs. I've seen several strains of Araucana's that lay brown eggs. I was shocked when I saw the hen lay it iat the show. Kind of defeats the purpose for me, but that's because I can kill anything with a crest or breard or tufts in a week.

In 5 to 6 months my chicks should be laying! Ours started laying at 4 1/2 months old. Most of us with these Blue egg layers have what can be considered hatch mates. They are from the same large breeding pen. Banjo, what ratio male:female do you have in your breeding pen? I know you hatched more of the original eggs than I did. We have 2 males with 3 females. Fertility is very high. So far 100%. Hatchability is a little lower, but every egg developed.

In 5 to 6 months my chicks should be laying! Ours started laying at 4 1/2 months old. Most of us with these Blue egg layers have what can be considered hatch mates. They are from the same large breeding pen. Banjo, what ratio male:female do you have in your breeding pen? I know you hatched more of the original eggs than I did. We have 2 males with 3 females. Fertility is very high. So far 100%. Hatchability is a little lower, but every egg developed.
Jim,
Are these the ones that I hatched and gave to you? If so those hatched out in late Feb. 2012.

To me, I want birds that lay a bit later in life. That way, you can start hatching eggs fairly soon after they have started laying. Instead of "wasting" the eggs that they are laying early and are too small to support a healthy embryo.

Just my opinion.

I'm always ecstatic when my Langshans wait until 10 months or later to lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom