Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much to it. Genetically there is only three colors of eggs. White, brown or blue. Selection can enhance the expression of the traits like the darker brown eggs in Marans. Still just a brown egg gene but those birds deposit more brown pigment than others. The blue is dominant over the white but mixes with the brown to produce the the greenish eggs often seen in ameraucanas. There is no gene for green it's just a mix of brown and blue. Certainly no gene for chickens to lay pink eggs. Just three color genes, white, brown or blue.
there are other two genes(that we know of) that can enhance the appearance of eggs, the shiny egg trait and the Translucent egg trait. when combined with Blue and white egg shell the effect is just beautiful

Not much to it. Genetically there is only three colors of eggs. White, brown or blue. Selection can enhance the expression of the traits like the darker brown eggs in Marans. Still just a brown egg gene but those birds deposit more brown pigment than others. The blue is dominant over the white but mixes with the brown to produce the the greenish eggs often seen in ameraucanas. There is no gene for green it's just a mix of brown and blue. Certainly no gene for chickens to lay pink eggs. Just three color genes, white, brown or blue.

I meant the breeding chart for the BEL Project.

Why does this convo seem familiar?

I guess what I should have put is this,
images
This is the type of chart I was looking for. I've seen one before with a leghornxAmeraucana, but I can't seem to find it.

I guess what I should have put is this,
images
This is the type of chart I was looking for. I've seen one before with a leghornxAmeraucana, but I can't seem to find it.
that´s basically how the Legbar was created. .. to create a Blue egg laying leghorns is Much Much straight forward. just keep crossing back to leghorn the birds with pea combs..untill you get back at leghorn productive parameters

Its not going to happen. The records went with the flock. If we knew the researcher/developer's name, maybe we could locate the information. But Dr, Bramwell is not at liberty to reveal his name. So we may never find out the exact how he developed these. Which parent line Leghorn did he use? No one ever said that knows. What we have is what we have. In post #1 all the facts we have are spelled out. All we can do now is move forward and attempt to breed these to what we, the breeders, feel is the correct and desired type etc. Keeping an emphasis on egg color and production.

I thought it was stated that the line was the same line that can be purchased at any hatchery. The birds definitely appear to be the same Hy-Line birds that are sold at countless hatcheries.

The first batch did not hatch well, unfortunately. I know it was that stupid still-air that did it.

This time, I'm not moving the eggs from the sportsman. I have 3 good ones still in that incubator and 2 more under my broody hen up in the barn. Hopefully out of the two something will hatch. My luck, I'll get 5 males! haha!

I thought it was stated that the line was the same line that can be purchased at any hatchery. The birds definitely appear to be the same Hy-Line birds that are sold at countless hatcheries.

Each strain is different. Some strains lay better than others. It is my understanding that these came from the "parent line" white leghorns. That is different than what the hatcheries have. Hatcheries sell the offspring of the parent lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom