Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The big Egg businesses, ones with Millions of eggs produced each year, have their own closely guarded lines of chickens. They are Commercial and not available to anyone. It is my understanding that the Leghorns used with the Blue Egg Layers came from one of these places. It would not have a name but likely a number designation.

Such as Hy-Line W-36 which is what McMurray Hatchery sells as leghorns from my understanding. Also, I have a friend that has purchased birds from Hy-Line hatchery also. Even if the creator used the parent stock, I dont think using the hybrid offspring would set you back very far at all... you just would have more trouble if you wanted to hybridize them to create birds that would be able to be feather sexed.

Last edited:
The photo of the "Shaver" Leghorn in post #1 was just an example. We have not been told which parent line was used. In fact, we do not even know if these originated in or even near Arkansas. Dr. Bramwell travels around the world. This month he was at our Arkansas Backyard Meetup Seminar one week and in Mexico the next. What we do know is, we have traced these back to the University of Arkansas. The trail ends there because the researcher or Dr. Bramwell says it does. In years to come the researcher may come forward with his records and lay claim to this new breed. If not, we take what we have and work work with it.

As for every hatchery having the Hybrid White Leghorn, here are the USDA-NPIP codes for white and brown commercial egg layer strains. This is a huge list. Each strain is derived from different parent and grandparent lines. Most have been closely guarded secrets for decades. Can this cross be copied with say, Ideal white Leghorns and an average Araucana? Yes, but it will not be the same. Similar and maybe enough to be admitted to the Standard one day. But this cross can not be duplicated to produce the exact same bird unless one knows which of these lines of white Leghorn was used.

Quote:
NUMERICALLY BY KINDS OF STOCK.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/npip_codes.pdf

EGG-PRODUCTION STOCKS (S)

S
S- S1B-BROWN EGG LAYER
(PRODUCT. RED)-NL
S1W-WHITE EGG LAYER-NL
S26-SEX LINK, BLACK-NL S28-SEX LINK-NL S29-SEX LINK, GOLD-NL
S2B-ARBOR ACRES, BROWN-NL S30-DEKALB, BLACK-NL S31-DEKALB, DELTA-NL
S32-COLONIAL-NL S35-DEKALB, SIGMA-NL S36-HYLINE W36-NL
S37-HYLINE W98-NL S3B-BABCOCK, BROWN-NL S3W-BABCOCK, WHITE-NL
S5W-CENTRAL FARMS, WHITE-NL S6B-COLONIAL, BROWN-NL S7B-DAVIS, BROWN-NL
S8B-DEKALB, BROWN-NL S8W-DEKALB, WHITE-NL S9B-EURIBRID, BROWN-NL
S9W-EURIBRID, WHITE-NL S10B-H & N, BROWN-NL S10W-H & N, WHITE-NL
S12B-HARDY, BROWN-NL S13B-HARMAN, BROWN-NL S14B-HUBBARD, BROWN-NL
S14W-HUBBARD, WHITE-NL S15B-HYLINE, BROWN-NL S15W-HYLINE, WHITE-NL
S16B-IDEAL, BROWN-NL S16W-IDEAL, WHITE-NL S17B-LAWTON, BROWN-NL
S18B-NOR-O-CROSS, BROWN-NL S18W-NOR-O-CROSS, WHITE-NL S19B-PARKS, BROWN-NL
S19W-PARKS, WHITE-NL S20B-SHAVER, BROWN-NL S20W-SHAVER, WHITE-NL
S21B-TATUM, BROWN-NL S21W-TATUM, WHITE-NL S22B-WELP, BROWN-NL
3/8/12 1:53 PM Page 12 of 30
S22W-WELP, WHITE-NL S23B-SEX LINK, BROWN-NL S25B-BOVAN, BROWN-NL
S25W-BOVAN, WHITE-NL S27W-SEX LINK, BUFF-NL S33W-ISA, WHITE-NL
S34B-ISA, BROWN-NL S35B-VEGA BROWN EGG LAYER-NL S40-BOVAN, RED
S41-DEKALB AMBERLINK S42B-LOHMANN, BROWN S42W-LOHMANN, WHITE
S43-MIXED S91W-GEEP, WHITE S92B-GEEP, BROWN
S93-GEEP,

I have possibly cracked the code for the genetics behind the cross. Best part is, that you don't have to have a certain strain of Leghorns.
punnett-square-oo-oo.jpg

punnett-square-oo-oo-2.jpg

punnett-square-oo-oo-4.jpg

punnet-square-oo-oo-3.jpg

blue-line-chart.jpg

Here is where I got the genetics.

Last edited:
Each strain is different. Some strains lay better than others. It is my understanding that these came from the "parent line" white leghorns. That is different than what the hatcheries have. Hatcheries sell the offspring of the parent lines.
Hatcheries sell the birds that are most productive. Hence the success of the Cornish crosses. Growers do not need the breeder birds as they want the birds that will be the end product. Breeder companies keep these as a closely guarded secret Hence, the hatcheries have the most productive lines available.

That being said, Cornish X are completely different than the egg production world. Cornish X are bred to be fast growing. Never supposed to reach sexual maturity and were never bred to reproduce. The Leghorns are completely different. They are bred to be productive, reach sexual maturity fast and lay large amounts of eggs inbetween "clutches." Since these birds would be bred to a less productive bird anyway, having these highly productive birds that are designed to give a large amount of eggs would be the best bet. They are the most readily available breeder bird either.

As for every hatchery having the Hybrid White Leghorn, here are the USDA-NPIP codes for white and brown commercial egg layer strains. This is a huge list. Each strain is derived from different parent and grandparent lines. Most have been closely guarded secrets for decades. Can this cross be copied with say, Ideal white Leghorns and an average Araucana? Yes, but it will not be the same. Similar and maybe enough to be admitted to the Standard one day. But this cross can not be duplicated to produce the exact same bird unless one knows which of these lines of white Leghorn was used.
It may not be the exact same as they do not have the same parents, but with breeding towards whatever Dr. Bramwell and the original researcher had in mind I'm sure the process can be copied. With time, the birds would eventually become indistinguishable.

with all this in mind.... and the well known fact I love buff..... what about crossing an Ideal Buff Leghorn with a Buff Araucana? An Arkansas Buff Blue Egg Layer?

droolin.gif

Ok granted my experience is not with hundreds of birds but i have hatched about 25 hens from a white egg crossed with a blue egg... they all layed blue eggs some lighter shades of blue but all blue with floppy pea combs... so the 1st square is not correct as best as i know of and with the birds i used...
I have possibly cracked the code for the genetics behind the cross. Best part is, that you don't have to have a certain strain of Leghorns.
punnett-square-oo-oo.jpg

punnett-square-oo-oo-2.jpg

punnett-square-oo-oo-4.jpg

punnet-square-oo-oo-3.jpg

blue-line-chart.jpg

Here is where I got the genetics.

Ok granted my experience is not with hundreds of birds but i have hatched about 25 hens from a white egg crossed with a blue egg... they all layed blue eggs some lighter shades of blue but all blue with floppy pea combs... so the 1st square is not correct as best as i know of and with the birds i used...

Remember, this is only all the possible offspring, not necessarily the exact numbers and type of offspring.

You might have missed the first graphic because the first cross that is shown up there has a Heterozygous hen and a homozygous recessive male.... So Elias's first cross would have been accurate, and then if he had taken a leghorn roosters over the resulting hens then you would get the first graphic.
Remember, this is only all the possible offspring, not necessarily the exact numbers and type of offspring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom