Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The big Egg businesses, ones with Millions of eggs produced each year, have their own closely guarded lines of chickens. They are Commercial and not available to anyone. It is my understanding that the Leghorns used with the Blue Egg Layers came from one of these places. It would not have a name but likely a number designation.
while this is true, there are way too many "Closed" lines of white leghorns, and any of them can outlay the Hatchery white leghorn, what I would do If I ever get the chance is use Spent Crate white leghorn hens. this hens are the closest to these closed lines we the average guy have. this spent layers will(when young) outlay any other leghorn out there(that is not closed)

while this is true, there are way too many "Closed" lines of white leghorns, and any of them can outlay the Hatchery white leghorn, what I would do If I ever get the chance is use Spent Crate white leghorn hens. this hens are the closest to these closed lines we the average guy have. this spent layers will(when young) outlay any other leghorn out there(that is not closed)
I have to say...I look forward to being able to purchase a few of those "spent layers" myself. Even at the second year they lay very well. And at $1 a bird, great buy.

Ok, I am going to reveal some information here in hopes to end some of this discussion about 'secret birds' and 'top line genetics' that Universities have access to that no one else does. This is simply not true.

First of all, if you pick up your phone and order 'white egg laying birds' which are often called leghorns from ANY hatchery (like MCM or Ideal, etc), the are the EXACT same birds that the commercial industry uses. The companies that produce table eggs for consumption do not have their own genetics, they place orders for parent stock layers from genetic companies (Hyline genetics for example) that they will then house for egg production. When one of these other hatcheries (MCM. Ideal, etc) sell chicks they buy hatching eggs from the exact same producers the commercial companies do. So, you can buy the same genetics that are used by the big bad commercial industry. This goes the same for the meat birds you buy from those hatcheries.

As far as Universities go, they generally do not have access to genetics that the common folks do. Maybe on occasion in conjunction with specific research project but the liens would have to be terminated at the completion of the trial. The genetic companies livelihood depends upon protecting their investment so they usually don't let the genetics out, even to Universities to maintain. And Universities MOST CERTAINLY do not create or develop genetic lines that are any better than the industry has. It costs tens of millions of dollars to develop genetic lines than that much more to get them ready for industry use. Universities do not have the resources for this.

So back to the blue egg layers, I know for a fact that they were created from a simple initial cross of a line of Aracaunas that laid a nice blue egg and crossed out to the same commercial Leghorns that anyone can buy from a hatchery. The offspring were then selected for egg color and crossed back to the commercial birds again, and again, and again. No special genetics, just a lot of expertise and time and space and money spent raising each succeeding generation.

Finally done reading this thread! Now, who wants to sell me some chicks?? Lol :)

In all seriousness, if anyone has any I'm definitely in the market for baby chicks. I really don't want to do eggs as my hatch rate is only about 50%. PM if you know of any, thank you!

where are u located??? or are u wanting someone to ship u chicks???
Finally done reading this thread! Now, who wants to sell me some chicks?? Lol
smile.png

In all seriousness, if anyone has any I'm definitely in the market for baby chicks. I really don't want to do eggs as my hatch rate is only about 50%. PM if you know of any, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom