Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I would be willing to set the eggs for a buyer, with the understanding that they get what hatches. They would also need to order some packing peanuts. Ideal can ship some for about $20. I would then add the Blue chicks and reship to the buyer. But quantity is an issue at present.

I have completed my first hatch of Blue Egg Layers!

7 of 9 that went to lock down hatched. I set 10 so that is very good for a hatch and especially good for shipped eggs!

One of these days I will get another batch from Jim too! Just waiting for a message from Ebay notifications that they are shipping. I should be very high on the list, since I won the auction in September. Waiting is fine with me--I would rather have eggs from pullets that are fertile.

I have 4 blue and 3 Splash:

I have completed my first hatch of Blue Egg Layers!

7 of 9 that went to lock down hatched. I set 10 so that is very good for a hatch and especially good for shipped eggs!

One of these days I will get another batch from Jim too! Just waiting for a message from Ebay notifications that they are shipping. I should be very high on the list, since I won the auction in September. Waiting is fine with me--I would rather have eggs from pullets that are fertile.

I have 4 blue and 3 Splash:

Woo! Hoo! Not bad for that far across country.

We are working on our flocks. They were "forced molted" in October (long story, but not my idea) and then the rains set in. We have no running water at the farm now (it was severely damaged by the mobile home movers) so we carry and use rain water. A 55 gallon barrel sits at the carport corner with a 3' rain gutter. We have emptied that barrel 3 times this month and rain has refilled it. Its raining and storming now AGAIN!.

Last week (Fri, Sat, Sun) we treated with Denaguard (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392918/anyone-familiar-with-denagard/10 ) It is supposed to kick start their laying and increase production. Worked a couple of years back with a flock of lazy Buckeyes. Hoping it restarts our hens. We are getting a few eggs, just not any Blues.

We are working on our flocks. They were "forced molted" in October (long story, but not my idea) and then the rains set in. We have no running water at the farm now (it was severely damaged by the mobile home movers) so we carry and use rain water. A 55 gallon barrel sits at the carport corner with a 3' rain gutter. We have emptied that barrel 3 times this month and rain has refilled it. Its raining and storming now AGAIN!.

Last week (Fri, Sat, Sun) we treated with Denaguard (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/392918/anyone-familiar-with-denagard/10 ) It is supposed to kick start their laying and increase production. Worked a couple of years back with a flock of lazy Buckeyes. Hoping it restarts our hens. We are getting a few eggs, just not any Blues.

fl.gif
I hope the Deneguard gets them going!

I also hope the other problems ware getting better for you!

Quote:
Thank You! It was a successful hatch but stressful. I did not have the first pip until day 21. The first chick hatched over night and there were 2 pips that did nothing for more than 10 hours. Then they hatched while 2 more pips sat there for 12 hours! The sixth one pipped and finally hatched on day 23. The last three eggs had no pips so took them out and found one still alive at egtopsy. I almost killed that one because it bled.

So for a long time I thought I was only going to get one but wound up with 7! I will know next time that they hatch strangely...

Thank You! It was a successful hatch but stressful. I did not have the first pip until day 21. The first chick hatched over night and there were 2 pips that did nothing for more than 10 hours. Then they hatched while 2 more pips sat there for 12 hours! The sixth one pipped and finally hatched on day 23. The last three eggs had no pips so took them out and found one still alive at egtopsy. I almost killed that one because it bled.

So for a long time I thought I was only going to get one but wound up with 7! I will know next time that they hatch strangely...
I have noticed that they stretch out their hatch also. I have never helped one out, but they do take their own sweet time and will sit there for forever after pipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom