Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a couple of pictures of my Blue Egg Layers. I have two Crele Penedesenca Pullets in that pen, so those art the ones that are Brown with Crele neck pattern:

The Roosters are at a farm in the Country. I live in the city and cannot have Roosters....

This thread is intended for the discussion of the two new developments of Blue Egg layers from the University of Arkansas. This is not for discussion on Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas etc. Photos and updates will be added as available to post #1.

From an email ....

We have a few of the B eggs set in our incubator. Does anyone have photos of these? We are actually looking forward to seeing what these look like and how well they lay. These are not an Easter Egger, per se. But a new breed developed in cooperation with the Unversity of Arkansas.

The commercial leghorn blood is not hatchery lines, but research lines from the commercial industry.

The egg is similar in color to his Auracana eggs and vary from medium to large in size.

We plan on keeping a breeding pen of these and seew hat they reproduce.

Can you imagine a Blue Egg layer that lays like a factory, battery layer

The actual "Blue" eggs from U/A in our incubator:

I came here to find out if having a tail is dominant or recessive. These birds look very similar to the flock I'm working on in Colorado with a parent base of marans/colloncas/silkies/araucanas. I have not read the whole thread only excited to see someone else with birds who phenotypically have the same features as mine. The ones that lay give medium to large olive eggs, tend to be docile and the males - some have a crow that sounds like 'ah ohhhh ee ee-sharp ohh'.

Birds in colorado have a hard time because of the constantly changing weather patterns. Some breeds just aren't successful.
Here is a picture of one of my broodies with three of her babies. We incubated two green eggs and one olive egg and without doing genetics, we ended up with two grey babies and one black baby. So far, so good as they are foraging with mom and roosting still with her. Some of my last incubation came out tailless and some with just a tiny stub.

For the record: I WANT a MUTT flock. I have great fertility. No rooster makes it in my flock if they fight and they seem to co-exist well. I believe some of that comes from the collonca disposition. Best of all, I'm starting to get exactly the color olive I've been hoping for. It will take me years to get to where UofA is and we might genotypically get much different outcomes as it seems our foundation flock is different. But we are breeding towards a similar goal. I am less interested in having an egg producing machine and more interested in birds that lay longer in their life as my birds tend to become people's pets.

Still pretty awesome though.

I came here to find out if having a tail is dominant or recessive. These birds look very similar to the flock I'm working on in Colorado with a parent base of marans/colloncas/silkies/araucanas. I have not read the whole thread only excited to see someone else with birds who phenotypically have the same features as mine. The ones that lay give medium to large olive eggs, tend to be docile and the males - some have a crow that sounds like 'ah ohhhh ee ee-sharp ohh'.

Birds in colorado have a hard time because of the constantly changing weather patterns. Some breeds just aren't successful.
Here is a picture of one of my broodies with three of her babies. We incubated two green eggs and one olive egg and without doing genetics, we ended up with two grey babies and one black baby. So far, so good as they are foraging with mom and roosting still with her. Some of my last incubation came out tailless and some with just a tiny stub.

For the record: I WANT a MUTT flock. I have great fertility. No rooster makes it in my flock if they fight and they seem to co-exist well. I believe some of that comes from the collonca disposition. Best of all, I'm starting to get exactly the color olive I've been hoping for. It will take me years to get to where UofA is and we might genotypically get much different outcomes as it seems our foundation flock is different. But we are breeding towards a similar goal. I am less interested in having an egg producing machine and more interested in birds that lay longer in their life as my birds tend to become people's pets.

Still pretty awesome though.
You can get them from Whiting Farms in Colorado. You have to pick them up since he does not ship.

Is there a way to get these blue egg layers here in northeast oklahoma?? I'm not by 45 mins from Arkansas.

You can get them from Whiting Farms in Colorado. You have to pick them up since he does not ship.

Nooo, I'm not looking for them as I have my own flock that looks very similar and lays very pretty eggs. I was commenting that it was neat that someone else was thinking along the same lines I was in regards to what they wanted in a bird.

Is there a way to get these blue egg layers here in northeast oklahoma?? I'm not by 45 mins from Arkansas.
The University dispersed their flock so the only way to get the U of A line is from someone that currently has them. The originator Whiting Farms only sells locally.

If you want eggs/chicks there are a few people on there that have these of a laying age. I'm sure you will find someone that can help you. I sell hatching eggs as does Banjoejoe and Hall Family Farm. I haven't sold chicks as of yet because I haven't devoted incubator space to a full hatch yet. I have 5 juvies in my grow out pen.

600x443px-LL-eb3852e3_BlueUA2.jpeg

I am digging these...Soooieeeee I am transplanted Arkansan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom