Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a splash pullet that laid her first egg today also. I'm not sure what her age is because she was just an extra egg that I put in with another hatch. It was interesting to compare the color with the hens that hatched last May. The hens haven't molted yet and have definitely faded some in color but are still a nice light sky blue. They should be about due for a molt and color should darken back up.

Keep us informed on how well she lays, Ron.
Check with Crystal, a couple of posts up.

My Blue Egg Layers are 20.5 weeks old and one of them laid their first egg today!

It is of course the little blue one on top of the eggs I collected today:

I have a splash pullet that laid her first egg today also. I'm not sure what her age is because she was just an extra egg that I put in with another hatch. It was interesting to compare the color with the hens that hatched last May. The hens haven't molted yet and have definitely faded some in color but are still a nice light sky blue. They should be about due for a molt and color should darken back up.

Keep us informed on how well she lays, Ron.
I have 4 pullets. Two of them are Splash and two are Blue. I also have two Blue Cockerels.

I hope to get them into a Breeding program by the end of August.

I have 2 hens that I kept. I will need more probably as mine are so mellow.
Here is the splash I kept.
the other is blue. however her picture did not come out well

When I hatch out a new breed I never know what I will get. I am really starting to dislike Bresse. I took thee off to auction instead of four because the fourth pullet in the pen was pecked to bloody and a quarter of the comb is now gone!
rant.gif
The Cockerels made my hand bleed. Two of them are now in freezer camp and the two nicer ones are at the egg farm for breeding.

The Blue Egg Layers are all very nice. I have two Cockerels and had five pullets. I gave one to my friend that is keeping some of my Roosters for me. They also do not eat that much and have the nicest blue eggs....

Yes, you need to hatch more!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I've been following this thread with great interest! I'm in southern Michigan far from all of you. Any chance that chicks or eggs will be available next year?
droolin.gif
Mary

Hello everyone, I've been following this thread with great interest! I'm in southern Michigan far from all of you. Any chance that chicks or eggs will be available next year?
droolin.gif
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom