Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said they had 2 blue genes for their eggs. I stated they are sex linked and lay blue eggs. They are blue enough that there is no doubt they are blue.

niclandia, you are a huge source of information, but may I make a suggestion? Use a little more tact when you reply to posts. There are people on this site that are afraid to ask questions or respond to posts because they don't care for your "style".

Last edited:
It sounds like this may be a good path but I need to understand more of how this works. And why?
-Year 2014 Hatch U of A Blue
-2015 U of A Blue over CL
-2016 F1 cross over CL???
that sounds like a plan, but when I said, that this cross would be such a good for production qualities is for the following... the cross will produce True Blue eggers that are Sexlinked at hatch(good for business) and that shows hybrid Vigor as both parents are egg layers but remain mostly unrelated(even if they have leghorn blood in them, the leghorn lines have remain unrelated for hundreds of years).... but I was saying this from a business perspective, not to breed autosexing blue egg layers.. if that what you want, then Cream Legbars are just that..

OR...

you could try to introduce the sex linked barring gene from the CL to the Blue egger from the U of A.. you see Barred rocks are also autosexable, maybe not as good as autosexing breeds like cream legbars BUT. males should always be lighter than the pullets at hatch.. you can even breed for this, the males will also turn out to be lighter when adults because they would have two copies of the barring gene

Last edited:
I never said they had 2 blue genes for their eggs. I stated they are sex linked and lay blue eggs. They are blue enough that there is no doubt they are blue.

niclandia, you are a huge source of information, but may I make a suggestion? Use a little more tact when you reply to posts. There are people on this site that are afraid to ask questions or respond to posts because they don't care for your "style".
oops sorry, I didnt meat to be harsh... you cross is a good cross that is for sure... and blue enough and productive enough to make a business out of it...

I was thinking doing the same with Ameraucanas and Hyline Brown eggers to produce green eggers that would be very good at laying gree eggs. here in nicaragua

I don't think CCL have a double gene either. Their eggs would be a deeper blue.
I think they do, if not the Cream Legbar owners should by now have reported a constant 50% or close to it of pullets laying white eggs... their blue egg shell seem to be different from the Ameracuana or the ameraucana has other blue color enhancers.. My friend that have Native stock from Rapa Nui(easter island) said that most of her hens have whats called shiny egg shell gene, that is recessive to the matte or dull white egg color, this will enhance the blue egg shell color..

here the egg on the left was from one of her Native Rapanui stock the other is from a cross that has the dominant non shiny egg shell gene

she beleives is autosomal not sexlinked

Last edited:
Mine are a cross of the CCL roo x WL and WL/Ex Crosses... they don't auto sex at hatch. I don't think the CCL have 2 copies of the Blue Egg gene.... yet.
Are the eggs extra blue and or do they lay a lot more eggs?

They sound amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom