Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
that sounds like a plan, but when I said, that this cross would be such a good for production qualities is for the following... the cross will produce True Blue eggers that are Sexlinked at hatch(good for business) and that shows hybrid Vigor as both parents are egg layers but remain mostly unrelated(even if they have leghorn blood in them, the leghorn lines have remain unrelated for hundreds of years).... but I was saying this from a business perspective, not to breed autosexing blue egg layers.. if that what you want, then Cream Legbars are just that..
For me it is a hobby; but my hobby is breeding the best egg laying birds that produce lots of large pretty colored eggs. Maybe I can sell some eggs to help offset the cost of feed.
smile.png
I used to work for my uncle who had ten's of thousands of white leghorns and made a % of a penny from each bird. I don't want to make a living that way.

Breeding chickens is a hobby here too. And I LOVE blue eggs.

I have had chickens for almost all of my life. It started with a small black hen that laid blue eggs. She hatched chicks twice every summer for about 5 summers and then disappeared one night. All of her pullets laid green eggs and since finding BYC now I know why. :)

Quote:
These crosses are JUST NOW old enough to start laying. I had my first report of WHITE eggs yesterday. I have 3-4 of these girl none have started laying here yet. I have a CCL pullet that is laying white eggs too. NONE of these are home grown birds. They came from blue eggs that much I know. I hatched them all from blue eggs.

These crosses are JUST NOW old enough to start laying. I had my first report of WHITE eggs yesterday. I have 3-4 of these girl none have started laying here yet. I have a CCL pullet that is laying white eggs too. NONE of these are home grown birds. They came from blue eggs that much I know. I hatched them all from blue eggs.
thats sad news..

Quote:
They are SUPER in my case because of the blue egg gene AND laying a lot of eggs... NOW Until I started using the CCL I didn't have many reports of white eggs. I do tell people they are possible. When I used my Lav AM roo I only had 1 or 2 reports of white eggs. Now that the CCL crosses are coming of age we will wait and see what is going to happen. Would be very odd if I didn't get ANY blue egg layers from the cross. The pullet I have laying a white egg is NOT from the same breeder the Roo is from ..... we will see.

So what might you expect if you crossed a Cream Legbar to a U of A Blue with the goal of increasing the egg production of an autosexing breed? One has a pea comb and the other single. This might be more interesting than the other projects I was thinking of trying since I already have the Cream legbar pair.
why don't you go ahead and help me with my project
big_smile.png

I need a few people to try it.
Crele Penedesenca over Silver Ameraucana

I can set you up with on my next hatch with a male crele chick and some silver ameraucana x crele penedesenca hen chicks

I know you are close to me somewhat

Last edited:
Quote: Another bird I am thinking of crossing with the U of A blue is the California Gray which Privett hatchery I am told has good stock. The bird was developed to be a strong layer of white eggs and is barred. Looking at ideas of using the CA Gray rather than the CL???

How do you think Auto Sexing could work out? The goal would be an Auto sexing production blue egg layer. Just for fun.
smile.png
I have a friend who is a HS biology teacher and chicken keeper who would like to work with me on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom