Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It very much sounds like these are purpose bred birds, bred toward a specific goal; that is not a mutt, it is a project that may develop into a breed with sufficient time and effort. It sounds very interesting, and I will be watching to read new posts. Due to his location, Dr Bramwell may have access to birds with the smokey gene, which looks similar to blue, but breeds true. I wonder if this may be in his birds, or if they are the blue gene?

It very much sounds like these are purpose bred birds, bred toward a specific goal; that is not a mutt, it is a project that may develop into a breed with sufficient time and effort. It sounds very interesting, and I will be watching to read new posts. Due to his location, Dr Bramwell may have access to birds with the smokey gene, which looks similar to blue, but breeds true. I wonder if this may be in his birds, or if they are the blue gene?

Not sure, but will find out "if" they hatch and we get some chicks on the ground. First ones are due to hatch next week. However, so are about 5 more flats of eggs with various varities. Will have to wait till they are more matutre to tell them apart.

Corrections from Dr. Bramwell....

Quote: You are mostly correct. These two lines were shared with me, I did not spend any time developing them at all, just thought they were interesting. The blue line does RESEMBLE a Sumatra but does not have black skin, as a matter o fact they have very white ear lobes. I haven't hatched any yet but have been told they will breed like most other blues with 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash progeny. They are clean faced and and pea comb and just sort of game bird looking.

The light brown leghorn LOOKING birds are a mix of both pea and single combs, a bit darker than LB leghorns clean faced and with a very white ear lobe. These I am working with to 'create' something out of them. They will both lay very well.

Anyway, thanks for the positive comments. I have been buried with reports but I had planned on spending a little bit of time at the farm today so I will take my camera and see if I can get some decent pictures.

Keith Bramwell
Dept of Poultry Science
University of Arkansas

In my defense...you sit for two hours listening to a poultry professor conduct an Incubation Seminar and see how much you remember correctly!

Last edited:
Let me see if I have this correct.

1. Breeds True
2. Lays only nice blue eggs (no green, pink or brown
3. Lays a lot of eggs
4. Looks like a game bird and a Sumatra

Wow
wee.gif

These do not sound like mutts to me. It does sound like a different breed that lays blue eggs. Reminds me of the Cream Legbar from England. Bye the way, they sell their eggs in stores in England, so the candling thing does not seem to mean much.

I am interested in this new breed. We may be seeing something special here, like when the Americaunas were turned into a breed in the seventies. I will be following this
pop.gif

Very interesting idea and I can't wait to see the babies and see how they do at point of lay....... I'd be very interested in chicks/ or eggs if you have extra's
I want to add blue eggs to my basket and am having a terrible time finding anyone here in Wi. who raises Ameracaunas, not Easter eggers...... so this is right up my alley. keep us posted Jim. Ty Kim

My EE's are all hatchery/very game bird looking. They are also some of my best layers of medium to large pale blue eggs. I got them from the local Agway, but they are definitely as good as my breeder RIRs. Out of a flock of a dozen birds (11 hens 1 roo), I get 7-9 eggs most days of the year.

That being said, I could see how introducing commercial bloodlines would produce a thoroughly reliable blue egg layer. Can't wait to see how they turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom