Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, those are quite unique looking! I like that there's a dark patch on their backs. It's not at all like I would have expected them to look. So cool.

Definetly a bit different.

Me too!! I figured they would be a solid blue, or a lavendar color.

The are the Blue/Black/Splash type that is referred to as Andalusian Blue.

Jim, you listed Silver Spangled Hamburgs as one of the breeds Dr. Bramwell gave us (the 4H club). To me, your chicks look like SS Hamburgs. Here's a couple pics of them for comparison.

Last edited:
That is possible. Julie was the one who picked them up from the hatcher. Guess we will wait and see. We have some of the blue "B" eggs in our home incubator. Will post their photo when they hatch next week.

Jim, you listed Silver Spangled Hamburgs as one of the breeds Dr. Bramwell gave us (the 4H club). To me, your chicks look like SS Hamburgs. Here's a couple pics of them for comparison.

Jim, thanks for all your time and efforts to show these interesting birds. It is always fun to see something new, and that nekkid bird pic was really something to see! Dr. Bramwell sounds like an interesting person with good intentions and beautiful birds.

A friend of mine and I also offer chicks to 4-H kids, and have found it very rewarding. Especially since I love to hatch chicks and always have too many
lol.png
. And yes, they are purebreds for exhibition out of eggs from the best flocks I can find, but I wouldn't hesitate to hatch out these birds and offer them to kids. They sound like good production birds, and probably very useful for some families. They will very likely be recognized as a breed eventually as they breed true, after the steps of determining a SOP and exhibition at the required number of shows are done.

I almost regret seeing some breeds standardized for showing, as some landrace breeds (Swedish Flower Hens, Icelandics, Norwegian Jaerhons) have a pleasing variability in appearance and a hardiness that could easily be lost if they were bred for appearance only. Just my opinion, of course.

for those of you whanting to see the pics of DR bramwells " lite brown leghorn type" blue egg layers here is a pic

i think he is doing a great job on this line of birds they show GOOD COLOR and are looking nice

That is one cute little girl in that avatar Banjo!

FYI: She gave me several hugs while I was there. She is so sweet!

for those of you whanting to see the pics of DR bramwells " lite brown leghorn type" blue egg layers here is a pic

i think he is doing a great job on this line of birds they show GOOD COLOR and are looking nice

Thanks for the pictures! Just what I had in mind when I was thinking about what they'd look like. It makes sense, just like other genes. Just keep the best blue egg layers and keep breeding back to the leghorns to get a regular show type leghorn that lays blue eggs. I plan to work on these but in rose comb form that will stem from single x rose so could throw singles from time to time. I am a good ways there already and should have some rose combed blue egg laying type birds being hatched this fall.

Thanks for the pictures! Just what I had in mind when I was thinking about what they'd look like. It makes sense, just like other genes. Just keep the best blue egg layers and keep breeding back to the leghorns to get a regular show type leghorn that lays blue eggs. I plan to work on these but in rose comb form that will stem from single x rose so could throw singles from time to time. I am a good ways there already and should have some rose combed blue egg laying type birds being hatched this fall.

see now that i would love... i really dislike the huge combs of the leghorns... much prefer rose or pea combed birds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom