Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a good call. Do you think it might have lightened up the egg color?

Also, as according to your sale on eBay, do they really lay 300+ eggs per year?

On the White bird, not sure if his genes would have lightened the egg shell or not. No way of even knowing unless I test mated him to several pullets and see if the offspring's egg color changed. I would also have to hatch some pullets from the blue male and same pullets to see the difference. UA can hatch a thousand chicks at a time. I can not. Nor can I feed as many as they can. I love doing the research, but my budget is a bit smaller than Dr. Keith's!

As for my egg listing, I just wanted to test the waters (so to speak) with the interest in this. I also started the FB page so we can privately discuss the issues with this new breed just between its breeders. We need at least 5 breeders to work together towards a Standard. If we ever get a Standard. We at least need to be on the same page with the breeding of these.

Question:

How many on BYC actually possess these Arkansas Blues?

How many do you have?

Pullets? Cockerels?

At what age did they start laying?

What has the production quality been?

Egg quality?

Egg color?

Temperament of birds? Flighty, Docile?

We need to bring this discussion back to what is important - the Arkansas Blues!

Are the eggs as large as white leghorn eggs?

Our only pullet to start laying so far is the Black pullet. The others are a little younger. Pullet eggs tend to be a bit smaller. The 3 eggs below are a comparison. The center egg is from our Black Arkansas Blue pullet. The brown egg is from an exhibition Buff Orpington hen (2nd year of lay) and the white egg is from Walmart and is a large grade A white commercial egg.

As I recall from the eggs we set, they were quite large. I did keep a few egg shells to compare with the new eggs. Seems the color is about the same. But the size is a bit smaller. Not much. I am sure that the pullet eggs will get larger. They all do.

545999_4287565475054_1513284185_n.jpg

jim just coreous if your pullet just started laying how have you had time to cheack fertilaty before selling the eggs for hatching ???? im just coreous

jim just coreous if your pullet just started laying how have you had time to cheack fertilaty before selling the eggs for hatching ???? im just coreous

Banjo, the listing is clearly marked "Presale" until we prove fertility. At least I think I clearly marked it.
barnie.gif
I will go check. We distributed over 400 UA eggs yesterday and have just a few more to finish today. I am setting 11 of the new breed marked "C", whatever it is. The rest of the 457 eggs will be set by someone...anyone... else!

That quack at Fayettville cleaned his egg storage room out!

Quote:
If you don't care about breed then I may just empty my egg room haha.

Seriously, I do appreciate and respect him. The opportunity to help so many youth get started in the Fancy is just awesome!

Well sounds like ya might get something very interesting outa those eggs............ Still in love with the blue eggers though, keep us posted....Kim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom