Blue Egg Layers from University of Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been lurking on this thread and think it's really interesting to be in on the beginning of a new breed. I love the blue eggs from my hatchery EE, but a breed that is a more consistent layer of larger eggs would be great. I'm not in a position to breed myself, but am one of the backyard chicken keepers that would definitely be interested in having some U of A blue layers one day. I'm sure many others would be interested as well.

I have a question about blue egg layers in general. Have there been any studies done on the metabolic cost of producing the biliverdin pigment that colors the egg? Are there any related or potential health problems or perhaps a shorter life expectancy? Finally, and most importantly, are there any dietary considerations that would support, or maybe enhance, the blue color?

I know the focus of this thread is mainly about breeding, so I hope you don't mind my going off on a tangent.

Thanks
frow.gif
As far as I know no work has been done on the metabolic cost of producing blue eggs.I would not think it would take more energy or nutrients to produce a colored egg shell as a white egg shell.
There is a nutrient that gives the pigment to the shell. I do not know what nutrient(s) it is or how it synthesized. I do know that it is a nutrient that is not fed, it is something some breeds just do. This is the reason why there are colored shells and white shells. it is nothing to be concerned about when feeding.
I would not expect there to be any health problems or concerns associated with the blue egg characteristic, and life expectancy should be the same as any other breed of chicken.
Dietary needs for these birds can easily be met using a standard layer ration, as far as i know there is nothing that can be fed to enhance the color of the egg shell. Feeding can however, effect the color of the yolk. Carotene is what will make the yolk a brighter, deeper yellow color. Carotene is found in yellow corn, grass, ect. This hold true for all breeds. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

As far as I know no work has been done on the metabolic cost of producing blue eggs.I would not think it would take more energy or nutrients to produce a colored egg shell as a white egg shell.
There is a nutrient that gives the pigment to the shell. I do not know what nutrient(s) it is or how it synthesized. I do know that it is a nutrient that is not fed, it is something some breeds just do. This is the reason why there are colored shells and white shells. it is nothing to be concerned about when feeding.
I would not expect there to be any health problems or concerns associated with the blue egg characteristic, and life expectancy should be the same as any other breed of chicken.
Dietary needs for these birds can easily be met using a standard layer ration, as far as i know there is nothing that can be fed to enhance the color of the egg shell. Feeding can however, effect the color of the yolk. Carotene is what will make the yolk a brighter, deeper yellow color. Carotene is found in yellow corn, grass, ect. This hold true for all breeds. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you for your response. I will send you a pm so this thread will not be taken off course.

Is it still possible to get some of these eggs???? Don't know why, but I have got a thing for blue egg layers.....just my fancy.

I haven't even built my first coop and I'm already interested if we can them up to Canada...

welcome-byc.gif

Canada is possible. McMurray ships chicks up there. You have to go through permits and vet checks and such.

Google it.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom