Blue egg laying barred EE?

This thread highlights one of the issues facing the industry. If a single trait is introgressed into an existing breed, does that breed then lose its identity? If someone stabilizes a barred rock phenotype that lays blue eggs, do we call it a barred rock? I submit that we just about have to because the term "barred rock" is a phenotype descriptor. It is the same concept as someone developing a buff rock, a spangled rock, etc. The key is having the typical breed phenotype with a new gene inserted. Now if you want to see something weird, I have a hen that is colored like a Silver Laced Wyandotte but she has a leghorn tail and she lays a blue egg. She carries her tail feathers splayed out like a strutting turkey.

Blue egg laying single comb Brown Leghorns were developed by Keith Bramwell at UARK about 10 years ago. I got eggs from him 8 years ago and used them to make the blue egg laying Silver Laced Wyandottes.

As for breeding a barred rock that lays blue eggs, genetically I don't see any issues. The blue egg gene is on chromosome 1 and slow feathering on W/Z. You would need the gene for zinc white eggshells in order to get sky blue eggs in a barred rock background. Avoid pea comb blue egg layers as parents because pea comb and blue egg are linked on chromosome 1.

I'd just like to point out, that the poster with the "blue laying plymouth rock" bought the bird as an EE, but due to it lacking a lot of the usual EE features, came to BYC to have their bird identified. Because the birds phenotype closely resembled that of a plymouth rock, they were told it was a barred rock. As time went on their now "barred plymouth rock," laid a green egg.

Back
Top Bottom