Blue Egg Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Demeter, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Demeter

Demeter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    If you hatch an EE chick from a blue or green egg, will the chick grow up to lay colored eggs, or will it possibly lay brown eggs? Does it matter if it's a pure breed Ameraucana, Araucana, or just a normal Easter Egger? What is the probability that each of those breeds will lay colored eggs?

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    good question.
    i also, would like to know this

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It depends on what color egg gene the rooster carries. If the rooster carries the blue egg gene, then yes. If he carries a brown egg gene then the possibility is 50-50.

4. Demeter

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks for that! So it doesn't depend on the hen at all? What if a blue gene carrying roo mated with another breed hen... say silkie for example, would the resulting chicks still lay the blue eggs??

5. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Yes it does.

A green egg laying hen carries both the blue egg gene and the brown egg gene. You need to continue to get the blue egg gene in the line to keep the color. If the roo carries the brown egg gene only and the hen carries both, then just do the math, your chances are less of getting a green egg.

If you cross those genes with a silkie, then you are dabbling with three different colors of egg shells. So you could get any.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  6. Demeter

Mar 4, 2009
    OHH okay. So blue egg EE roo+ EE hen=better chances for colored eggs?

7. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup. better chances.[​IMG]

9. Demeter

Mar 4, 2009
    lol so if they both came from colored eggs then what would the percent be...75? (sorry i'm not super quick on the uptake)

10. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    in trying to darken the color egg if I breed Blue egg Araucanas Roo to blue egg laying hen and get light blue eggs do I have to introduce a darker blue egg layer to the breeding program to get the eggs darker blue or if I keep breeding the from 2nd generation (is that F2???) blue egg hens back to the blue egg roo will the color blue get darker or stronger?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by