Blue egg

J.stinson

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2018
I have 6 black hens with a green tint to feathers and 1 Rhode island red. One of them is laying a blue egg and I can't figure it out. I thought only a few breeds laid blue eggs.

Could be one of your black chickens is an Americana or mix. I used to have a black hen that looked liked an Australorp except for the feather Tufts on the sides of her head and she layed big greenish blue eggs.

I would call that an Easter Egger - Easter eggers are any chicken that has the colored egg gene which includes a chance of blue/green eggs. As far as i'm aware, a chicken's outward appearance does not dictate whether or not it is an Easter Egger - just the egg color genetics.

Araucaunas and Americanas and are breeds with black variety feathers that can lay blue-green eggs, among other colors including brown, yellow, white, and pink. If your hens have any Araucanan or Americanan genetics, that would be a fair explanation as to why the eggs might be that color.

Could be one of your black chickens is an Americana or mix. I used to have a black hen that looked liked an Australorp except for the feather Tufts on the sides of her head and she layed big greenish blue eggs.
Thank you! They are beautiful birds and very friendly

Araucaunas and Americanas and are breeds with black variety feathers that can lay blue-green eggs, among other colors including brown, yellow, white, and pink. If your hens have any Araucanan or Americanan genetics, that would be a fair explanation as to why the eggs might be that color.

That's not the case... what you describe is an Easter Egger. A true bred Araucuana or Amerucuana are blue layers. And Unfortunetly with hatcheries selling their EEs mislabeled as Arucuan or Amerucuan, more and more people are going with the mis-labeling.

@J.stinson , post some pics of your girls... I bet one is either an EE or an Amerucuan. Where did you get your girls...

Oh, and Welcome to Back Yard Chickens!!!! So glad you could join us!!!
:welcome
:frow:wee:frow
hi chicken.jpg

Last edited:
Not the best pic of them, trying to get the green sheen on feathers. Of course its not penny the Rhode island red but she wanted to be in the picture.

Attachments

• 20180318_142954.jpg
    20180318_142954.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180318_142859.jpg
    20180318_142859.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 17
I have 6 black hens with a green tint to feathers and 1 Rhode island red. One of them is laying a blue egg and I can't figure it out. I thought only a few breeds laid blue eggs.
Like many have said you have an Easter Egger! I can't help much further than that but CONGRATS on your EE! :woot

Back
Top Bottom