Blue eggs

Gary Kenyon

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
Eastern Tennessee
Hello, I have been getting 1-2 blue eggs a day, but from what I have read, all of my chickens are supposed to lay large, brown eggs. Any thoughts on where these blue ones might be coming from?

Attachments

• 15664172815776334278773412018602.jpg
    15664172815776334278773412018602.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, sorry about that. I just tried to update and include my chicken breeds in the post. I have Australorps, Golden Sexlinks, and saphire gems.
well easter eggers are caused by a blue egg laying rooster on a different hen, it could be the sapphire gems that are doing it, as they are a cross breed. I have one that looks just like a saphire gem and she's a cross between a blue Jersey Giant and can't remember barred rock or gold laced Wyandette she lays an olive egg, usually it's something crossed with an Amerecuana or Auracuana that will lay blue to blue green eggs, but they usually get the muffs on cheeks even if just a bit, but not a hundred percent guarantee.

Could you have a wild chicken that's decided to lay with your flock? or one of your neighbors hens sneaking in cause she likes your flock better? at least it makes life interesting trying to figure it out lol

Last edited:
well easter eggers are caused by a blue egg laying rooster on a different hen, it could be the sapphire gems that are doing it, as they are a cross breed. I have one that looks just like a saphire gem and she's a cross between a blue Jersey Giant and can't remember barred rock or gold laced Wyandette she lays an olive egg, usually it's something crossed with an Amerecuana or Auracuana that will lay blue to blue green eggs, but they usually get the muffs on cheeks even if just a bit, but not a hundred percent guarantee.

Could you have a wild chicken that's decided to lay with your flock? or one of your neighbors hens sneaking in cause she likes your flock better?
I do have a neighbor a couple hundred yards away on the other side of a year round creek that has chickens, but I think if one of his had come over I would have noticed by now. We have been getting these blue eggs for a couple of weeks now. Both of my roos are Australorps.

OH!!! I ALSO HAVE 5 MEAT CHICKENS!!! I don't know exactly what breed they are, I only got them because it was cheaper to get a bunch of chickens with my order of a goose than it was to pay shipping! They are big white chickens. I can't believe I forgot all about them, they are the friendliest of all my chickens!

I do have a neighbor a couple hundred yards away on the other side of a year round creek that has chickens, but I think if one of his had come over I would have noticed by now. We have been getting these blue eggs for a couple of weeks now. Both of my roos are Australorps.

OH!!! I ALSO HAVE 5 MEAT CHICKENS!!! I don't know exactly what breed they are, I only got them because it was cheaper to get a bunch of chickens with my order of a goose than it was to pay shipping! They are big white chickens. I can't believe I forgot all about them, they are the friendliest of all my chickens!
chickens either wild or wanting to brood can be very sneaky lol, because the roos and the breeds should lay brown eggs unless there is maybe a recessive gene in one or both but I am no expert on that subject

Hoover's hatchery has a chick called sapphire olive egger. Is it possible that's what you have, rather than a sapphire gem? They may lay blue rather than green.

Back
Top Bottom