Blue Favaucana

ravensnow

Songster
Mar 7, 2019
Urban SW Pennsylvania
Hi. I came across this thread looking for info and pics of Favaucanas, at different ages. I have a 10 week old that I purchased at 1 day old, and I have suspicions that it is a cockeral, First because of behavior, and since a few weeks ago, his appearance as well. I posted in this forum a couple of weeks ago on a different thread, and got some good feedback, but no one who comment were very familiar with Favaucanas. I am attaching pics i took today. If those of you that raised any, can give me your opinion, I would really appreciate it... Thank you. :)
My blue Favaucanas are also 10 weeks old! They were all sexed at hatch as being female. Yours has both larger comb than my Celestine, and a redder comb than my Malachite. Here are pictures from Monday, but the funny light means that you can't see comb color very well. My guess is cockerel, if our chickens are the same age.

Persephone
IMG_0019.JPG

Celestine
IMG_0040.JPG

Malachite
IMG_0085.JPG

ChickMathIsReal

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
My blue Favaucanas are also 10 weeks old! They were all sexed at hatch as being female. Yours has both larger comb than my Celestine, and a redder comb than my Malachite. Here are pictures from Monday, but the funny light means that you can't see comb color very well. My guess is cockerel, if our chickens are the same age.

Persephone
View attachment 2247707
Celestine
View attachment 2247708
Malachite
View attachment 2247709
Thank u so much. I've been searching for pics to compare age...and wow is there a big difference In combs. The comb (aside from behavior) was one of my first signs that made me question....noticed 3 rows since about 7 weeks. I heard thats an indicator for cockeral in Ameraucanas, but being a hybrid wasnt sure. Thanks again! :)

ravensnow

Songster
Mar 7, 2019
Urban SW Pennsylvania
Thank u so much. I've been searching for pics to compare age...and wow is there a big difference In combs. The comb (aside from behavior) was one of my first signs that made me question....noticed 3 rows since about 7 weeks. I heard thats an indicator for cockeral in Ameraucanas, but being a hybrid wasnt sure. Thanks again! :)
No problem. Thank you, actually! I've been worried because Celestine's comb started to get bigger/wider than the others, but it's still way smaller than your chick's. Hers is also still pale, even if there are three rows. Behaviorally, she acts the same as the other two pullets. So, I guess we both have our answers.

I agree that it's really hard to find good pictures of these chickens!

ChickMathIsReal

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
No problem. Thank you, actually! I've been worried because Celestine's comb started to get bigger/wider than the others, but it's still way smaller than your chick's. Hers is also still pale, even if there are three rows. Behaviorally, she acts the same as the other two pullets. So, I guess we both have our answers.

I agree that it's really hard to find good pictures of these chickens!
Well ur very welcomed then! :) yes I agree....i believe we hot our answers too. I think I'm starting to see some hackle and saddle feathers coming out now....or is it just me? Lol

Attachments

• 20200730_195019.jpg
    20200730_195019.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 20

ChickMathIsReal

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Well...no doubt about it now! Mr.Favaucana just tried to mount my 5 month old Faverolle yesterday afternoon! Still no crow though. Here's to praying that he stays a quiet boy so no one complains and we get to keep him. 🤞

Jraba1315

Songster
Sep 11, 2019
Washington
I know this group is for blue favaucanas specifically but i need some help. We just hatched chicks and they were a cross between a salmon faverolle and a purebred black ameraucana. These were supposed to be our black favaucanas. This is our first time hatching out the eggs but the chicks are white?? How is this possible? Is that what they are supposed to look like? They hatched out of a faverolle egg so i’m 100% sure they have that part but I have no idea how another rooster could have fertilized the eggs. All our other roos were kept in another pen and i’m pretty sure they were too young to have fertilized. Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I can add pics if you’d like.

clareite

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2020
Here’s a glamour shot of my 17.5-week-old pullet, Cinq. (I find her beard impossibly cute!) The second pic is from a couple of months ago; you can see her lightly feathered legs and five toes.

Attachments

• DD8B8BC6-C4CA-4F8D-B5CB-DFD1D4668B7B.jpeg
    DD8B8BC6-C4CA-4F8D-B5CB-DFD1D4668B7B.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 419D899A-414E-4C9C-943F-3BC73B6D519C.jpeg
    419D899A-414E-4C9C-943F-3BC73B6D519C.jpeg
    827.5 KB · Views: 10

Top Bottom