Blue gene in Coturnix, how does it work?

fancyfowl4ever

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Hi there,

I have a pair of Coturnix, hen is a blue pied normal and the male a normal. Now I hatched 3 chicks out of that pair so far and 1 looked like its mom did when she was a chick(all yellow with faint blue stripes) and the other 2 were normal striped chicks. Now that they are all 3 weeks old and feathered out the coloures suprise me, I thought the 2 striped ones will look like their father but instead they have both turned into a dark blue and a normal with blue highlighted feathers. The Yellow chick turned out like expected, normal powderblue pied like its mom.

So how does the Blue gene work in Coturnix? What puzzles me is the variety in shade, still blue but one bird from afar looks like a regular normal while its sibling is powder blue and then there is the one that is inbetween.

I know, 3 chicks isn't really much to work with, but as soon as my pair gets out of their molt I hope she starts laying again and I can hatch hatch hatch and hatch some more!!
big_smile.png

Very Pretty colour though.

Never Seen Blus Coturnix, Or Heard Of It For That Matter.... Can You Post Pix? I'd Love To See Them.

Forgive Me... I Have To Ask. Are These Coturnix Quail Or Button Quail?

Hi,

Blue coturnix? Can you post a photo please?

The nearest to a "blue" with stripes is a variety called Platinum, but I wouldn't say they were blue, more light gray.
You can get them in range birds too, again more like a gray colour.

Ironsun.

I would call it blue, looks like blue in chickens. Although the littlest one could pass more as a lavender!

I know the breeder these birds are from worked on a colour several years ago that he called Charcoal(imagen a tuxedo coturnix but solid blue and white instead of dark chocolate brown and white). Very pretty!!!!!! I was first on his list for hatching eggs once he got that colour figured all out, but a weasel killed all his stock not long afterwards and I never did get any.....

My Birds seem to carry that gene but instead of the gene being in the tux pattern it is in the normal pied/wild type pied pattern.
Maybe I have to get some tux hatching eggs from him and hatch some of those and cross them with these guys......

I wonder what I would get if I crossed them with a redheaded golden...... oh boy, looks like I might get into the Coturnix again just to see what I get crossing them over different colours.....and I thought I was cured of the quail bug.
sad.png
Now I am in trouble
tongue.png

Anyhow, here are pics I took a couple minutes ago:

Momma bird:
coturnix015.jpg

The lightest of the lil ones:
coturnix004.jpg

and all 3 of the lil guys:
coturnix009.jpg

Anna

Hi,

The lightest coloured chicks is known in the UK as a silver (normal feathered pattern) If you can get this in to the range, and then cross it with the white A&Ms you have, then after a few generation you will get the platinum/silver tuxedos. But it takes time and selection of the birds to get them. The white birds produce can have the silver patches on them.

I wouldn't use the golds with these birds, you only get golds with the platinum/silver colouring, they are a pretty variety though.

So looking at it, you could within two years have platinum or silver range and tuxedo, Golds and whites white this colour too.

Ironsun

Back
Top Bottom